WIRELESS CONNECTION TO PRINTER

saddler1962 10:16 20 Apr 06

hi... i have just connected my laptop to wireless btvoyager, and it works brill. Just now wondering how i get my laptop to connect to the printer attached to the pc upstairs?
What do i need?
What is approx cost?
Is it easy to install, because im thick!!

SANTOS7 10:27 20 Apr 06

click here
this may help...

rmcqua 10:34 20 Apr 06

SANTOS7's suggestion will work, but it's expensive. All you really need is to have your upstairs PC wireless enabled (if it isn't already) with a cheap PCI wireless card:
click here
Then uninstall your printer and reinstall it as a "shared printer" in the printer install wizard.

goonerbill © ® 12:21 20 Apr 06

there are 2 drawbacks with either option mentioned by SANTOS7 and rmcqua

1) use a wireless port on you printer so your laptop can connect = cost.

2) cheap wireless PCI card for upstairs pc to share printer with laptop = pc must be left on.

printer must be left on permanatly with either option plus if using option 2 the added pain of having to turn the pc back on if turned off when not being used and down stairs using your laptop and try to print something.

if you wish to make the printer wireless rather than going through the pc, look on ebay for "wireless printer" in the search option as there are some good items there.

goonerbill © ® 12:27 20 Apr 06

forgot to mention with either option, there is also a possible problem with the building that you live in, what walls/floors are in between laptop/pc/printer/router-modem can/will affect signal strength.

woodchip 12:41 20 Apr 06

To do that you have to have another Computer that is connected by Ethernet Cable to router a printer to that computer. You also have to setup a Network File sharing and set the printer to share. The computer and printer have both got to be switched on for you to print to it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…