Wireless connection with NTL

kissanpoika 00:00 27 Jun 06

Oops, just realised I posted this is the wrong forum earlier. Ticked that one as completed so I could open this one...

Hi,

At the moment I've got an NTL cable modem linked to my PC via ethernet but I've just bought a laptop. If I understand correctly all I need to buy is a wireless access point to share the connection between the two. However, if I decide to keep the desktop wired and only use the wireless, is there a suitable device that caters for both types of connection?

Does anyone have any recommendations on which device would be good?

Thanks

Strawballs 00:36 27 Jun 06

You will need a wireless router (not modem/router) that will share the connection both ways. I have a linksys wireless router that is shareing 1 desktop by wire, 1 desktop wireless and 1 laptop wireless on an NTL B/B the only difference is mine is via STB not modem.

freaky 10:40 27 Jun 06

Got a similar setup - NTL cable modem.

I have two PC's in the same room, these are networked together via a crossover cable.

My wife has a PC in another room and was using NTL Dial-Up. We bought a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4Ghz-802.11G and a USB Belkin external Network card.

The USB Belkin Network Card is plugged into her PC via a USB socket on the front of the case - she can now share my NTL BB.

The NTL cable is connected to the Router, and the crossover cable for my two PC's also connects to the Router. This means any of the 3 PC's can connect independently to the Internet provided the Router has a power supply.

Works OK, did not cost a lot, and was relatively easy to set up.

kissanpoika 14:07 30 Jun 06

Ordered a Buffalo wireless router in the end and it was extremely simple to set up. Thanks for the help and advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…