Wireless connection keeps dropping

meyellowbelly 16:33 09 Feb 08

My notebook connects to the Internet using cable broadband via a TP Link wireless router. This hardware works OK. My notebook runs Vista Home Basic and has the Atheros AR5005G adaptor/chip. This has recently been the subject of a Windows update. My problem is Windows first reports the signal as 'excellent', then drops the line, leaving me to manually reconnect each time. The connection only last 3/4 minutes. At times Windows says it cannot find any network. I have disabled SSID broadcasting for security reasons. I've had this working OK and the problem is recent, but I've used System Restore and this hasn't cured the problem. Is this another Vista problem or is it down to the Atheros chip driver? All advice gratefully appreciated.

Kemistri 17:53 09 Feb 08

"I have disabled SSID broadcasting for security reasons."

You need to do some reading about network security, then, because SSID broadcast is not a security issue in the slightest and is important for browsing for the network. As myths go, it's up there with physical address filtering.

It's often wise, in my experience, to ignore Microsoft Update whenever it presents a driver update for notebook hardware. The place to go for such drivers is the notebook manufacturer's support website, where you find the versions that are (often) tailored for your notebook. They may not necessarily be the most recent, but that is irrelevant if you happen to lose out on a particular customised feature or behaviour, or lose some reliability in some way. I am suggesting that this is the cause of your change, but it might be.

Sys Restore is unlikely to make any difference, any more than the famously ineffectual option to repair the network connection.

Kemistri 17:54 09 Feb 08

I am NOT suggesting....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced