Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping!

JR27 12:01 12 Dec 05

Hi All,
Can someone help me please?

I have a wireless broadband connection in my house.

I have a laptop configured for this which works fine, I have a desktop confirgured for this which will connect up fine, but every 5 mins. or so, just drops the connetion, it's driving me nuts.

I have a Belkin wireless card installed in the desktop & it's XP. The laptop is Win2000.

Any ideas?

JR27

2neat 12:31 12 Dec 05

Not enough info! What router have you got & firmware issue. Have you a cordless phone near?
Try changing chanel in router or is it set at auto? What signal strength/ connection speed are you getting on the desktop.

JR27 12:36 12 Dec 05

Hi,
Sorry, tell you what. I'll get all the info at home this evening & take it from there..
Thanks.

webber_man 12:41 12 Dec 05

Also what ISP are you with?

Reason i ask is that im with Pipex and earlier on this year they upped me to 2mb from 1mb without me knowing, but because the nescessary hadn't been done at the BT exchange my connection kept dropping.

After the BT bloke visited all was revealed and all sorted.

Just an idea. Might not be down to you at all.

JR27 09:36 13 Dec 05

Thanks, but surely if that was the case then it would not be working ok from my laptop? It only drops on my desktop.

It's a NETgear 108 Mbps Super Wireless ADSL Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch DG834GT.

The wireless card in my PC is a Belkin 802.11g Wireless card. Signal strength seems to range between 70-90% anytime I check the stats.

No, I don't have a cordless phone near the desktop...I do have one though.

Also, I changed my settings from "Open" to "Shared" & that improved it ever so slightly, it kept going for about 15-20 mins. before it dropped... ???

slammer 16:39 13 Dec 05

Have had same 'dropping out' problem with a wireless network card installed in a laptop. Finally got through to Belkin helpline who suggested I reinstall the driver from their website. Cured the problem immediately.

Ikelos 17:14 13 Dec 05

if it is a voyager wireless modem, then the 5min connection drop is caused by the modem trying to find a stronger signal which is timed at 5 minutes.. if it is a voyager, let me know and i will write more.....

JR27 17:18 13 Dec 05

Thanks Guys, no it's not a voyager...
I will try the driver update with Belkin...
let you know!
Thanks.

JR27 09:43 14 Dec 05

Well I rang Belkin tech support last night & the guy basically told me that it's not my driver & that my antenna on the wireless card is too close to the wall in the room. I just can't believe this could be the reason?

So, I never got to update my driver, but have mailed the guy from Belkin I was in touch with yesterday to see what he has to say about it...

Any thoughts?

madPentium 09:19 16 Dec 05

I would do the obvious first.
Put the laptop on top of the pc, and see if the connection is lost. If it does, it's probably signal problems. I installed a wireless system into a home once, and believe it or not, if I pulled the pc an extra inch away from the wall it stayed connected all the time. They can be that temperamental. It depends what you have running through the walls and floors etc.

JR27 09:29 16 Dec 05

god, that's mad...I didn't know they could be that tempermental at all...I've a few things to try over the week-end so I'll give that a go too.
thanks guys for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…