Wireless connection keeps dropping

Av 11:58 07 Sep 03

I have a wireless connection between a Sony laptop (pre-installed WLAN) and a new LINKSYS 54G router. The laptop is one floor above the router, through a wooden floor.
When connected, the Internet surfing is great and quick and it tells me the signal strength is excellent. The problem is the connection drops off every 5 to 10 minutes and I have to go to Advanced networking to click on Refresh to get it back. Sometimes it picks up the connection again by itself.
Does anyone know how to fix this or why it occurs? Any help or hints appreciated.

spikeychris 12:43 07 Sep 03

Depends on your OS. If its XP the type Services.msc into run and Double-click the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Click Stop. In the Startup type list, click Disabled. Restart.

Get the latest drivers for the LINKSYS 54G router.

Chris

Av 18:00 11 Sep 03

Spikeychris, thanks for the help, but unfortunately it hasn't worked, still keeps dropping. The OS is XP and I've tried updating all drivers et.
Any other ideas?

spikeychris 18:39 11 Sep 03

Have you Double-clicked the Wireless Zero Configuration service and disabled it?

spikeychris 19:16 11 Sep 03

click here

Or you could try this..

Right-click My Network Places, select Properties, right-click
the LAN Connection, select Properties again, click the
Authentication tab and un-tick "Enable network access control
using IEEE 802.1x." Click OK. If this leads to authentication
failures, you have to re-enable the protocol.

Av 22:22 14 Sep 03

Thanks, but tried all the above to the letter, and it still keeps dropping the connections. Unticking 'Enable network access...' led to my not being able to reconnect again after it dropped the connection, whereas it usually picks it up when I click on REFRESH in the Advanced Networking tab.
How do I reenable protocol?

More suggestions welcome. Does anyone know the actual cause of the problem, or does anyone else have the same problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…