Wireless Connection keeps cutting off!

YinHoNg 16:10 06 Jan 05

What's happening is whenever i open programs such as steam or winamp, my wireless connection to my router disconnects and then reconnects. This is extremely annoying and i cant work out how to fix this.

Any idea?

YinHoNg 19:13 06 Jan 05

Another thing i've noticed is that when it happens the computer freezes for a little bit.

Any ideas?

YinHoNg 12:46 07 Jan 05

I've tried shutting off wireless zero configuration but if i do that my adapter utility doesnt detect the adapter is installed at all.

I was really looking forward to gettin into steam - still no help?

toni b 16:25 07 Jan 05

When you say adapter utility are you refering to the one you got with your wireless card/usb connector .Have you tried not using the utility at all and just use the windows utility (are using xp?)

YinHoNg 00:53 08 Jan 05

yeh i'm using xp. I've tried to just use the windows utility but its still the same.
I actually think it might be the pci adapter now:

click here

I was reading some reviews and quite a few people mentioned that they get frequent cut outs: none describing exactly my situation though.

I also bought this same card for my sisters computer, and after that the whole system constantly freezes and restarts randomly.

I'm thinking of buying another card but other reviews are still very mixed for other cards: some mentioning blue screen of death etc etc

Have you any recommendations?

I still cannot work out why it keeps cutting our however.

click here
above is a link to some solution tips. I think maybe Jake's situation is a bit like mine because when i use steam the system crashes for a little bit i.e i cant open other programs or it takes long to load.
But i don't understand his solution. If its something to do with the motherboard, my mobo is
click here

Thank you in advance. If possible, i'd obviously like to not buy a new one if i can so if anybody got any solutions......... =)

toni b 15:44 08 Jan 05

Are you using sp2 In my opinion the wireless utility is easy to use than in sp1.Try a programme called netstumbler click here ,this will establish if any other wireless devices are with in range of you, this might be possible problem. What access point/router are you using?If you do buy new equipment then it is probably best to use the same manufactures of card to access point for chance of better compatibilty and sometimes enhancements.

YinHoNg 15:53 08 Jan 05

click here
This is the router i'm using.

Netstumbler only showed my network: the whole thing is so weird because as soon as steam tries to connect the signal indicator just goes all the way down and then restarts the connection....

toni b 14:30 10 Jan 05

Tried up grading you driver for wireless lan card and upgrading firmware for access point this might help. With the information and links you have given here is the link to 3 com, but to be safe it would better if you entered your model number so there is no errors .click here

toni b 00:25 16 Jan 05

Please explain how you resolved the issue so others may use the information in future
Regards Toni

YinHoNg 20:59 16 Jan 05

oh thats weird. I could've sworn i did. Sorry about that.

Well the pci card i was using was Ebuyer 11Mbps Wireless LAN PCI Adapter (802.11b) Quickfind code 52898

I didn't read the reviews and comments before i bought it as there were actually some reviews that was describing my situtation - cut outs AND also my sister's computer kept restarting and freezing.

So i decided to purchase a new card, namely, Linksys Instant Wireless PCI Network Card Qukcfind code 37483 from ebuyer. This card had GREAT reviews and also had a bigger aerial. I'm not totally sure it was the signal, but it is definitely one strong possibility for the reason for the problems.

So i suggest if you are having the same problems, spend the extran 20% and get a better card that has a bigger aerial and reliability!

Hope this helps!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017