Wireless connection in internet cafe

honeyguide 19:48 26 Jan 08

I have a Belkin wireless adapter for my laptop and am successfully connected to my Orange Livebox for wireless internet at home (but had to do this via ethernet initially). However, I work away from home and if I try to connect in my local internet cafe (via The Cloud) although the signal strength is good and the network is recognised, my laptop won't connect and informs me it is acquiring. No amount of repairing makes a difference.
If I attempt to connect to other wireless networks (at friends houses etc) I can sometimes make it work but this is never automatic and I often have to play around (cluelessly) with my settings.
I was advised that the Belkin software and Windows XP could be interfering with each other and followed some instructions to stop this but it hasn't made a difference.
Any ideas?

Scottiedogg 20:44 26 Jan 08

This might sound like a silly question but you do have an account with the cloud...? If so, are you entering the correct login details?

honeyguide 20:48 26 Jan 08

I get a little card with login details every time I try - an hour at a time, so don't think that's the problem.

Scottiedogg 20:56 26 Jan 08

Go to:
START> CONTROL PANEL> NETWORK CONNECTIONS

Right-click the 'wireless network connection and click properties.
In the box in the centre (with checkboxes) scroll down to Internet protocol and click it once to highlight it.
click properties (below right)
Is the 'Obtain IP address automatically' selected?
If not, select it and ensure @Obtain DNS server address automatically' is also selected.
Let me know when you have done this.

honeyguide 21:45 26 Jan 08

thanks scottiedogg. I'm at home at the moment, so am connected with no probs, but I went to have a look at my settings and they were all set as you advised. I'll double check when I try at the internet cafe, but am guessing that if they're set right here then they won't change?

Scottiedogg 22:12 26 Jan 08

Hi Honey,

Those settings are correct so don't change them. Have a look at click here which may help you solve your problem. It is unlikely that your Belkin is to blame as it finds your cloud network fine but it could be to do with the log in process. The link I gave you may help you troubleshoot the problem. Sorry I can't help but without knowing exactly the steps taken while in the internet cafe it is difficult to pinpoint. I could suggest quite a few possible solutions but I don't want to run the risk of introducing problems which don't exist...

Scott

honeyguide 22:21 26 Jan 08

thanks - I'll have a play when I get back up north. May well be in touch again soon!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos