Wireless Connection distance?

Chrisann 14:54 18 Dec 06

Anyone any idea how far my Wireless connection on the Laptop should go. My Router etc. is in a back office..and when I take the Laptop approx 7 metres away to another downstairs room. the signal is only just visible..says very low. I thought it would go further than that. I can see a Wireless connection for a House down our road with better strength!!!!

Chrisann

fitshase 20:34 18 Dec 06

Depends on what is between you and the router. If there are electrical items, floors, concrete walls, etc., then the signal will deteriorate very quickly.

The wireless connection down the road might be a router near to a window leading on to the street (in which case you can get up to 300m coverage). Indoors is a max of 50m when uncluttered.

Ashrich 20:13 19 Dec 06

If you know how to access the router setup program , ( open browser , type 192.168.*.* whatever the next two are ) have a look through to see if ....you are set to " g " only ( if your laptop adapter supports wireless g only ) check if you are using the optimum channel ( for speedboost / 108mb/s usually 6 ) WEP and WPA encryption use a lot of resources , if using WPA try downgrading to WEP , even that can make a difference , if the wireless router has aerials try moving them about a bit , the broadcast from a wireless router is a bit like a doughnut , tip the aerial(s) towards the direction you are in . Try those for now ....

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5