Wireless connection disappears

czkkzc 22:12 20 Mar 08

I've had my laptop for over a year and it has been working fine until recently. The wireless connection connects to the router when the laptop is turned on usually but for some reason it has started to not even show up on the taskbar. It is becoming more regular that this happens.

In the network connections it shows other connections such as bluetooth but no wireless (unless it is local area connection 3 which says unplugged). The wireless and bluetooth are built into the laptop and there is a swith on the laptop to turn them both off/on. The only way I have been able to resolve this is to go onto safe mode and uninstall the client and reinstall it on local area connection 3. This takes a lot of restarting and I dont completely know what Im doing!

I dont think it has anything to do with the router because I cant even view connections in range.

XP service pack 2
AMD Turion 64 x2 1GB RAM

Any help is appreciated.

Chas49 23:59 20 Mar 08

I too had trouble with my wireless connection - it looked as if, on the desktop that the USB adapter had given up the ghost. Having pulled practically all of my remaining hair out <g> I finally uninstalled all the software that BT gave me and tghern reinstalled it afresh. Once I had typed my WEP details in all was OK - repeated it on the other desktop and then that was OK too. The laptop in this case just reponed to the 'Connect to'. It's surprising how many times a reinstall works.

Have you a Restore Point before the day the trouble began? If so, try that. It can be very frustrating as I found out - I stopped short (but only just!) of kicking them through the window!!

Good luck.

czkkzc 20:54 21 Mar 08

Thanks for the reply. No unfortunatley I do not have a restore point. I dont know what software to try reinstall as its not a usb adapter, its built into and came set up with my laptop. What software would it be?

Any suggestions as to what I should try?

When Ive tried reinstalling one of the clients on a connection, it works, but the next time the laptop is switched on it disappears again.

I dont have a clue whats going on with it.

setecio 11:25 22 Mar 08

I would go to the laptop manufacturers site and look for drivers for the inbuilt wireless device and reinstall them. It sounds like it is either the software or the hardware for it is faulty because the wireless icon should not disappear completely from the control panel - network connections page.

czkkzc 21:41 23 Mar 08

Ok I will try this. Thank you.

czkkzc 18:00 25 Mar 08

I got a HP driver that was on the webpage of the model of my laptop and installed it but it did not work and now realised its a NVIDIA nForce Netwroking Controller.

Does this mean I need to find a different driver? I have been on their site and I dont know which series the laptop has.

Is it the NVIDIA I need a driver for? Anyone know how to find out which series I need? I've looked in the properties.

ambra4 00:22 26 Mar 08

Download SIW install and run

Click network card and all the information on the network card will be available

click here

Go to HP and download correct driver and install

Ditch999 12:23 26 Mar 08

If its an HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 then you are in diffs. Please read here click here
and you will see why.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…