Wireless Connection advice

RickyBlade1 20:35 07 Jul 03

Hi all,
I currently share my NTL broad band connection by using a crossover cable between my laptop and my desktop. Now my laptop already has a in built wifi adaptor card(802.11b) what else do i need for my desktop computer to allow me to establish a wireless connection. the cheaper the better
Thanks in advance
Yours
Richie

Lozzy 20:58 07 Jul 03

If your going to just have and only have one PC and one laptop then all you need is a 54G wireless card for your PC. Then your laptop will connect auto to the PC wireless.

Now you will not get a great distance before loosing the connection you are best getting a 54G 802.11b router which your BB will connect too and a straight RJ45 cable to your PC then will get at least 300 feet before loss of connection.

re cost it varies so shop around..

RickyBlade 21:05 07 Jul 03

Thanks Lozzy

My Desktop is in the dining room and i want to use my laptop all round house and in garden so i think that i will need the router

Any suggestions on perferred sites to buy the router????

Cheers

Richie

Lozzy 21:12 07 Jul 03

Get a Belkin 54G there in the mid range of prices but you get free support and a dead easy set-up and very easy instalation guide.

Lozzy 21:20 07 Jul 03

Another point to bear in mind, is that Belkin products say the radius of the access point and its true where as others make a claim but its no where near that claim.

With my wireless access point the max distance through walls etc is 300 feet. With no obstacles i.e. outside I can go as far as 800 feet before loss of signal..

Hope this helps you

RickyBlade 21:28 07 Jul 03

Cheers again Lozzy

Have found a 54g wireless dsl router for £98 from novatech i think that i will be purchasing said item tommorrow unless i can find one cheaper!!

Cheers

Richie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…