Wireless connection

DMQ 15:32 17 Aug 08

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro with Windows XP Pro. I access Broadband with Tiscali via the router they supplied - Siemens Gigaset SE587. However it seems very hit and miss whether I get an internet connection even though the signal strength is excellent. I rarely seem to get the internet in the morning or afternoon, only the evening. Is it worth getting a USB wireless adaptor for the laptop or should I invest in a new router? I don't have any problems with the router connected by wire to my other PC. I'm fairly new to wireless so any basic advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

mgmcc 16:27 17 Aug 08

The problem appears to be with the radio signal between your laptop and the router and, as this is at certain times of the day, is probably due to strong interference from another radio device. Try changing the Channel in the router's wireless settings. The most common default channel settings are 6 or 11 so, if using one of these, try the other.

DMQ 17:35 17 Aug 08

Thanks. How do I change the router's wireless setting?

mgmcc 21:00 17 Aug 08

If you type the router's IP address into your web browser, that should open its configuration pages - you may have to enter a Username & Password to gain access and these should be in the manual or possibly in a label on the underside of the router.

If you don't know the router's IP address, in the PC go to "Start > Run" type CMD and click OK. This will open a Command Prompt window. At the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. Look for the *DEFAULT GATEWAY* address, which will be the router's IP address.

DMQ 22:21 17 Aug 08

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

DMQ 22:43 17 Aug 08

I'm on channel 13. The allowed channels are 1 to 13. How do I change the channel? I can't seem to delete or overwrite the 13.

mgmcc 07:55 18 Aug 08

Channels 12 & 13 should generally be avoided because in certain countries they are illegal. Consequently, many Wireless Network Adapters are designed not to function with channel numbers above 11.

I don't know why you should be unable to change the channel number, unless there are different levels of access to your router and you have to log in with full administrator rights.

DMQ 19:06 18 Aug 08

I have to go on the set up page to change the channel. I'll try a different one and let you know how I get on.

DMQ 19:05 21 Aug 08

I changed the channel to 11 and I'm connecting to the internet every time. Thanks very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…