Wireless Connection

KSG2006 15:41 04 Mar 06

Firstly apologies for lack of knowledge but I really don't have a clue here... We currently have Wanadoo Broadband and are looking at getting a wireless connection for main PC and laptop which we will be purchasing soon. Do I need to purchase the wireless connection from Wanadoo or can I get this anywhere ? Any other advice would be appreciated.

ade.h 16:17 04 Mar 06

You don't "purchase" a wireless connection, except in the sense that you can walk into a coffee house and pay for internet access while downing a latte.

As you are on an ADSL - as opposed to cable - service, you simply need to purchase a modem/router. Do not make the common error of buying a router and trying to get it to work with your existing modem. With one or two exceptions, it's not supposed to work that way.

Your notebook will be wireless enabled, so that's that covered. I would need some confirmation from you about whether your desktop has an Ethernet LAN port; let me know so that I can advise you further.

A good router click here Ignore some of the customer reviews that refer to an early version; I own one and have purchased three for other people and it's a good router. Certainly one of the simplest to configure.

KSG2006 16:27 04 Mar 06

Well, simple would be good ! On my desktop it says 10/1000Mbps Ethernet for connectivity to broadband, cable/dsl ? Does that help at all ?

ade.h 16:49 04 Mar 06

Yep, you have a Gigabit Ethernet LAN port, which uses an RJ45 cable. This is provided with the router.

When you are ready, I'll give you some important instructions in how to prepare your PC for the router and set it up. There are a couple of things that you should do first, and then the setup process will be somewhat different from anything that you will ever have experienced before. Just post again in this thread (not a new one) and I'll respond.

Meanwhile, you're ready to purchase a router, and you won't need to buy anything else. Apart from your new notebook obviously!

KSG2006 17:43 04 Mar 06

Ok, thanks for all your help.

jab43 16:40 05 Mar 06

My PC does not have a LAN port, what do I want to plug into a USB2 port to enable the PC and your modem/router to getme going

KSG2006 15:35 06 Mar 06

How does the router you describe compare to Netgear DG834G ?

ade.h 17:23 06 Mar 06

Favourably. The 834G is a mostly decent little product, but a) is not quite as easy to set up to an advanced degree and b) can sometimes be problematic. Luck of the draw.

KSG2006 20:39 06 Mar 06

OK, after loads of thought and reading a lot of reviews I have gone for the Netgear. I will probably have to ask for help on here. Thanks for all your help, hope I've made the correct decision !

ade.h 20:43 06 Mar 06

Well, as I don't use Netgears, nor recommend them to friends, I won't be able to advise you very much about the specifics of setting it up. As I said, the Belkins compare favourably in my opinion and I have first-hand experience of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017