Wireless connection

Night Ryder 20:43 05 Nov 04

I am thinking about using a wireless modem to connect two or three PC to the internet at home.

Under normal circumstances it is necessary to attach filters for every other phone on the system.

Am I right in assuming that if I use a wireless system I only have to attach filters to the connection with the wireless modem or will I still have to fit filters to everything else?

mgmcc 21:29 05 Nov 04

I wouldn't have thought the fact that the modem and PC talk to each other wirelessly instead of over a cable would make any difference to the need for filters.

However, if you intend connecting more than one PC, you will require a "router", rather than just a wireless modem.

fly2hi 23:30 05 Nov 04

Thinks yes, if you're going to use a phone to access the 'talky' bit on your broadband line, then yes, you'll need a filter to get to it regardless of which socket you use, they all connect to the same line.

mrdsgs 09:17 06 Nov 04

the modem will not be wireless, it will connect to the bt phone socket with an rj11 cabland assuming we are talking about broadband, it will need a microfilter to connect to the bt socket, it then gives one socket for broadband and one for you phone.

EVERY other phone socket on the line needs a microfilter IF it has telephone/modem equipment connected to it.

Your proposed "wireless modem" will presumably be a combined modem/router, that will then enable a wireless or wired network link to other computers. Each machine will therefore need either a wired (very cheap) or wireless network card (more expensive and you should get 54mbps 802.11g cards)Most modem/routers include 4 wired sockets and have a firewall built in.

mrdsgs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…