wireless connected but no internet access

Eyag 18:11 05 Dec 05

(apologises for cross posting)
Hi,
Would be eternally grateful if someone could tell me what to do about a laptop i have connected to a wireless router that detects and recieves and sends packets between itself and the router but does not access the internet using IE, Opera or any of my other internet enabled programs.
Read other threads and tried inputting an ip similar to a computer that is physically connected to the router itself (this computer also works fine with the wireless) but it did not work. in fact it kind of stopped and in other cases drastically slowed transfer of data packets. automatic config on the troubled laptop reads an ip address 10.0.0.3 which is invalid for access the internet through the router.
what do i do please?

mgmcc 23:02 05 Dec 05

<<< automatic config on the troubled laptop reads an ip address 10.0.0.3 which is invalid for access the internet through the router. >>>

The 10.0.0.x subnet is perfectly valid for Local Area Networks and there is no reason why clients being allocated an addrees in this range by the router should be unable to access the internet. If your router operates in this range, don't try to use manually entered 192.168.x.x addresses. What is the IP address of your other computer that is getting online?

Eyag 13:52 06 Dec 05

ok. Thanks. But what do I do now that it has 10.0.0.3 but no browsing is possible?

mgmcc 22:48 06 Dec 05

If you open a Command Prompt window and run the command "IPCONFIG /ALL" (without the quotes), what addresses does the laptop show?

- IP address?

- Subnet Mask?

- Default Gateway?

- DHCP Server?

- DNS Server?

Has any firewall software been configured to allow access to the addresses of networked devices?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…