WIRELESS CONFLICT

Lomond 21:38 25 Jan 07

Having tried many suggestions, I cannot share files and printer although internet works fine on my router linked network. Can anyone help?
I suspect that there might be some kind of conflict in terms of PC connection and the wireless laptop connection.
In network connections, wireless laptop shows three categories:
BROADBAND
Says broadband connection disconnected
INTERNET GATEWAY
Says internet connection connected
LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET
Shows 2 options-
Local area connection network cable unplugged realtek rtl8139/810x family fast
And
Wireless network connection 2 connected 802.11b/ wireless adapter. If I view the status of this, it says the network is linksys

In network connections, PC (Ethernet linked) has 2 categories
INTERNET GATEWAY
Says internet connection connected
LAN OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET
Shows 2 options-
1394 connection in “support” shows no data – for general connection properties says connect using 1394 net adapter- and in status shows no activity (sent or received)
Local area connection – via rhine III fast Ethernet adapter in support – in status does show activity sent and received

For both pc’s I seem to have 2 connections: laptop has internet gateway and wireless network connection 2 whilst PC has internet gateway and local area connection. But I would have thought that I should only need one on each but it would be the same??
Any advice please?

mgmcc 09:35 26 Jan 07

If both computers have simultaneous internet access via the router, then they are "networked" and there is nothing wrong with your connections.

The "1394 Connection" is Firewire. It has nothing to do with your interent access and, although it can be used to network two computers, it is unusual to do it this way.

Ignore the "Internet Gateway" entry, which should show as "Connected", unless there is a problem.

Your actual *network adapters* with which you connect to the router are the "Local Area Connection" (for a "wired" connection) and the "Wireless Network Connection" (obviously for a "wireless" one). A computer can have one or more of either type installed.

As regards "File & Printer Sharing", make sure you have at least one folder "shared" in each computer, by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Any firewall software in either computer needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section. An incorrectly set up firewall is the most common reason for computers not communicating in a network.

SETTING UP A NETWORK PRINTER:

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

Lomond 19:01 26 Jan 07

thanks mgmcc for taking the time to explain this I am pushed for time but will try this asap and let you know how it goes.

Lomond 11:24 27 Jan 07

Have thought about this and though it might ensure printer is set up correctly to share, I still cannot share files ( so my prob is not printer only)
Since I now know netwrk is okay, I am only using windows firewall on both pcs,& both machines have the same network name, I don't understand how when I VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS my ethernet linked PC shows icons for both machines but my laptop takes ane age to respond then shows a message saying that my netwrk name "is not accessible.......you may be denied access...." i have tried renaming ,etc to to effect.
THE ROUTER has a network name which is not the same - does this have any relevance???
Please advise!!!!!!!!!

Lomond 11:33 27 Jan 07

nb I JUST tried double clicking the icon for the remote pc on the pc which shows both machines in VIEW workgroup computers - it just messaged that this computer name was not accessible!

mgmcc 21:17 27 Jan 07

If either computer is running XP *Professional* have a look at this page relating to the need to be logged in with identical Usernames/Passwords: click here

Also have a read of this Microsoft article: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5