wireless config OK but no pages load

mco 10:35 12 Sep 10

IE8 and FF have stopped working on my 3 month old Win7 HP laptop - the internet connects fine (and does with other home laptops) and I could download Windows updates - but get nothing on either browser. The only message I get from troubleshooting is that "your computer appears to be correctly configured the device or resource (click here) is not responding". I did a system restore to no avail.Anyone have any ideas please? I thought maybe IE had got corrupted but then surely I'd still be able to use FF? I thought maybe it was the built in network adapter so I tried with my mobile broadband dongle - good signal but again no pages loading. It's annoying as the connection is obviously there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 12 Sep 10

Check Firewall settings looks as if it blocking your browsers.

VOT Productions 11:20 12 Sep 10

Reinstall FF.

mco 12:20 12 Sep 10

Firewall settings no different from before (was working fine then stopped) I have just reinstalled FF from PC advisor disk but it is still the same problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 12 Sep 10

Disable firewall and see if it will connect.

mco 13:27 12 Sep 10

the firewall is off and still no pages load - there is full wifi connectivity though and it shows a clear path from laptop to internet - I am thinking I should download (from other laptop) the network adapter driver and see if it makes a difference -only guessing though

birdface 13:33 12 Sep 10

What Firewall are you using as disabling some of them makes no difference.
Zone alarm is one of them and if that uninstall it completely and see if your browsers work If so you can reinstall Zone Alarm again.
What Anti-virus and Anti-malware programs have you got running .
Sometimes it is the Anti-malware programs that can stop them running.
Kaspersky used to be bad for it but no doubt it has improve a lot now.

mco 15:03 12 Sep 10

there seems no reason why it should suddenly stop working when it was working fine before with my antivirus (avast) and Firewall (windows) I don;t have zonealarm - will keep looking and thanks for your help :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:08 12 Sep 10

Scan for malware

birdface 15:48 12 Sep 10

Like fruit bat says download update and run the free version of this.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 12 Sep 10

But of course you will have to download on another machine and transfer across.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5