Wireless Cards

happyhotspur 09:20 20 Aug 08

I have a desktop computer. If I purchase a wireless card and instal it what else would I need to connect to the Internet?

DippyGirl 09:27 20 Aug 08

Modem/router and a service provider

happyhotspur 09:31 20 Aug 08

that is what I already have to connect to the internet, so is there any advantage in the purchase of the wireless card over what I already have. sorry to sound a numpty but just cannot get my head around the whole wireless business, I am currently on a laptop so get a bit confused when I want to connect via my desktop

TonyM 09:40 20 Aug 08

If the desktop is going to be close to the router, all you need is a network cable.

happyhotspur 09:44 20 Aug 08

Fraid not the desktop is in another building. Does this mean that I would need a seperate internet connection for my desktop or would a wireless card enable me to be able to connect via the router without the need to be in the same building?

Bioshox 10:06 20 Aug 08

Another building o.O
Are you sure?
How far away is this other building? Is it like your shead or something?
If its like down the road... then the Rooter wont be able to go that far
So...
Tell us where abouts your buildings are and how close they are to each other

happyhotspur 10:20 20 Aug 08

The computer thats connected via wireless to broadband is upstairs, and the desktop is in the basement (its the only place I have room for the desktop, printer, scanner etc)

DippyGirl 10:38 20 Aug 08

It's where the router is. If there is alot of "building" between the router and the wireless adapter (laptop or desktop) you may not get a connection - or its strength may be decreased.
Can your laptop connect to the router from the basement ?
If yes your desktop will probably do so to
If no then wireless is probably not an option, without some more kit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…