//some 3rd party need geo

Wireless Card Connects To Router But No Connection

PaulB2005 14:43 27 Oct 05

BT Broadband HG1800HG Router

Win98SE Desktop with BT 1040 Wireless PCI card.

Desktop PC connected to router fine until hard drive died after 2 months.

New hard drive and reinstall Win98SE.

PC set up in owners house can sees the network, connects but nothing will download. "Page cannot be displayed" is all IE shows.

The Wireless card is getting good to excellent signal.

The router shows the PC connected by Ethernet and the two laptops but won't show the Win98SE PC.

Under one screen it shows the other PC and laptops as having IP addresses under DHCP but shows another PC with a Static IP address.

The SSID of the router has been changed to make sure there isn't two with the same name in the area and it makes no difference if WEP is on or off....

As i say it worked first time when initially set up but with the new hard drive it just won't connect whatever i do!

Any ideas?

PaulB2005 14:45 27 Oct 05

(exceeded max number of words)
A laptop was placed next to it and works fine.

The PC works fine in my house on my router with no changes in settings.

Drivers have been updated with no success...

Windows 98SE has been installed twice with the same results and the latest drivers have also been installed.

Other wireless adopters (PCI and USB) also have the same problem on the Win98SE PC but work fine on other laptops and PCs....

PaulB2005 14:46 27 Oct 05

Sorry supposed to be in Networking....

Sans le Sou 17:20 28 Oct 05

What do you see when you left click on the connection window (green with black bars)

PaulB2005 18:05 28 Oct 05

It's not here at the minute but if you mean when i open the control panel it shows the network under available networks, prompts for the network key and accepts it. It says it has very good to excellent reception. To all intents and purposes i can't see anything wrong. It's not as if the card isn't picking up the network. It is. Just no throughput as it where...

Something in particular you want me to look at?

PaulB2005 18:54 07 Nov 05

Well finally solved this one and the answer is one of those stupid quirky things i keep finding with PCs.

First of all the router has it encryption key printed on the bottom of the case. It's only 10 digits and easy to read. 4 of use checked the key and we had the number written down and entered correctly.

The PC wouldn't connect but the laptop would using this key.

Repeated attempts to get the PC to connect failed using the key.

Today the laptop suddenly exhibits the same behaviour.

So i was routing about in the router settings and decided to switch the key from DEFAULT (i.e. factory set) to CUSTOM and then re-entered the key from the bottom of the router again.

Suddenly both the laptop and the PC connected to the router.

I can't fathom why first the PC and then the laptop failed to connect using the default key and why changing it to CUSTOM but still using the same key means it works fine.

But at least it works....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…