Wireless Card connection security

Barrance 16:27 18 Jul 05

My wife and I have two Win XP home PCs sharing a Linksys ADSL Gateway (model BEFDSR41W) by cable. Unfortunately purchased without a version 3 PC card, now discontinued.
However I have now bought one on eBay and after some modest fiddling have a good connection to my PC.
Now I want to connect my laptop and PPC to this broadband connection via the card but am completely at a loss as to how to set up the appropriate security (encryption?) settings to permit this safely, without passers-by joining in.
An idiots guide to the sequence of steps would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Forum Editor 19:12 18 Jul 05

click here

and click into the Technical support section. Click on 'Easy connect' section and follow the prompts.

Barrance 09:31 19 Jul 05

Hi Forum Editor,
Many thanks, that all went well!
Including the checking procedures.
Can I assume now that the connection is secure - in other words - no passer-by with a laptop can access my system via the wireless connection?
Is there any auto check I can run to be assured on this point?

Strawballs 18:38 19 Jul 05

You could do what I did for my friend,I took my wireless enabled laptop round to his house and attempted to access his network without success (that is if you know somebody with a laptop.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…