wireless - can only surf for 10 mins at a time

User-1295698 19:14 19 Sep 08

I've got a problem with my Dell Latitude x300 laptop which is running Windows XP Professional.

I can only connect to the internet through my wireless connection for 5-10 minutes at a time. After that, the explorer says the page cannot be displayed, and I have to reboot so I can surf for another 10 minutes. The connection info always says the wireless is still connected and the signal strength is excellent.

Not sure if related, but twice the computer has crashed on a bluescreen error (*details below), and upon rebooting I’ve had the option to report the problem to Microsoft. They have suggested the problem is caused by:
"Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter software (w70n51.sys)

I’ve checked and the driver on my wireless connection is:
Intel (R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI adapter, Driver Version 1.2.4.35

I installed the Intel driver update from this site – the update in “Networking”, dated 29/07/2005 – but it has not had any effect (NB - I could only perform this in Safe Mode):
click here

*The two bluescreen errors I’ve received are:
“BAD_POOL_HEADER STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xEFE68138, 0xEFE68960, 0xFD050F80)”
“IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP: 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EDCDO)”

I'm not very technically minded but am learning while trying to sort this problem out, and can follow instructions! I'd be very grateful for any help.

brundle 23:55 19 Sep 08

"the update in “Networking”, dated 29/07/2005 – but it has not had any effect" - no effect on your 10 minute browsing sessions, or no effect on the appearance of blue screens?

User-1295698 19:01 20 Sep 08

No effect on the internet connection.

I haven't had one of those blue screen errors for some time, but thought I'd include them with my problem - it was after receiving them that upon rebooting MS offered the option to report a problem & then suggested that the intel wireless software was causing the problem.

Graham

MAJ 22:50 20 Sep 08

You haven't said which wireless router you are using, but I would first check in the router's settings that it is not set to disconnect after 10 minutes inactivity. I don't think that's the problem, but it's worth checking in any case.
I would then obtain and install a USB wireless adapter on the laptop and see if you still get cut off while using that instead of the built-in wireless card. You'll have to disable the built-in wireless card in device manager. Chances are the wireless card is causing the 'cut off' problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…