wireless button doesn't work

sgnyc 04:32 13 Feb 08

Hi All,

I have an Advent 7036 nearly 3 years old and i have only just needed to use the wireless feature now, however when i press the wireless button next to the on button it doesn't work, is there another way to turn this on, as when i search for wireless networks it says to switch it on.

please help, thanks

crosstrainer 07:32 13 Feb 08

The wireless adaptor is enabled in your BIOS

Laptops vary, sometimes hold down the delete key on boot-up, sometimes the F2 key (check with the manual)

Scroll to the integrated periperals section and look for the wireless entry, make sure it is set to enable.

Take care not to make changes in the BIOS other than that, as this could render your laptop unbootable.

PP321 07:49 13 Feb 08

Your certain it has a wireless card in it? some computers have the button but not the hardware, its fitted in more expensive models which use the same chassis.

crosstrainer 07:53 13 Feb 08

Is correct, but this will show in your BIOS if it is present....If the option is absent or greyed out, then you do not have a wireless adaptor.

USB ones can be obtained cheaply.

click here

click here

sgnyc 08:10 13 Feb 08

thanks guys, but i did try a USB one but to no avail, it says to load on new drivers with a CD which it shouldn't need. any other tips?

crosstrainer 08:18 13 Feb 08

Adaptors do require drivers and software...Did yours not have a cd with it? If not what is the make and model number?

sgnyc 08:25 13 Feb 08

well i basically took it off my parents computer and there was no CD for that one just to give it a try, the lights flash on it when i plugged it into my laptop. The usb key is called a d-link model - DML G122

sgnyc 08:30 13 Feb 08

also i just tried your advice on the bios, i went to the default wireless bit and it said last state or disabled so it must mean i don't have a wireless card, or is there another way to check that i don't?

crosstrainer 08:37 13 Feb 08

Were in your BIOS, did you try to enable the adaptor? (page up page down, or arrow keys)

Driver link for your usb device:

click here

sgnyc 08:46 13 Feb 08

it on gave me 2 options either enable or last state, which i would think means i don't have a wireless card even though i though i did. downloading to the drivers now so hopefully that might work, but if you have any other advice to see if i do have a wireless card already please let me know...thanks

crosstrainer 08:48 13 Feb 08

Enable in the BIOS....This will activate the adaptor if it is present. Don't try both of them at once or you could have big probs :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…