wireless broadband for a laptop & desktop

palinka 17:23 21 Jul 04

I'm about to take the plunge and move from dial-up Freeserve Anytime to a Pipex solo broadband connection. Before I actually order I would appreceiate some advice on the following:
Currently have a desktop (ME) and a laptop (XP) using same line , tho not at the same time; both into same tel socket. They are not networked.
I'm happy to remain un-networked, but what hardware do I need to be able to use both machines through the same BB connection?
Ideally I'd like to do this wirelessly, so again, what do I need to do this?
Pipex offers free ADSL modem and free connection.
And before anyone asks, no, cable is not an option.

Kate B 18:47 21 Jul 04

I've got a Mac laptop and desktop PC very happily filesharing and using the BB connection via a simple crossover cable ... no need for complicated wireless at all!

palinka 19:00 21 Jul 04

Kate B, what is "a simple cross-over cable" please?

byfordr 22:40 21 Jul 04

explains the theory click here now buy a premade one, not worth the hassle of making your own!

CAT6 Crossover for 10/100/1000 networks
click here

CAT5 Crossover for 10/100 networks
click here

more theory click here==

byfordr 23:05 21 Jul 04

click here

Some nice deals on wireless kit including free adapters... click here

DG834G inc free desktop or laptop adapter click here

byfordr 23:08 21 Jul 04
  Danoh 02:33 22 Jul 04

this for my future reference, including a previous posting click here, while I go off and do a search for threads that cover wireless router with security options that can be swapped to/from Cable/ADSL modems.

palinka 09:08 22 Jul 04

thanks, byfordr, for all those links. and Katie b for suggesting that route originally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…