Wireless Broadband

collinsc 18:50 23 May 09

Hi

Can anyone please give me an overview of Wireless Broadband?

If i stick my Vodafone USB Dongle in to my laptop and connect up - where am i connecting to? Vodafones nearest exchange (or just the nearest exchange?)?

If i am incorrect on the above then how wll it differ to if i use a t mobile, or 3 dongle?

Also - what is the difference between a usb modem and usb dongle?

Thanks kindly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 23 May 09

You will be connecting to the nearest Vodaphone mast and onto Vodaphone ISP.

if you use the other dongles then you will be connecting via the appropriate company.

These things can either be PAYG or monthly contract just like a sim card.

ambra4 19:17 23 May 09

“If i stick my Vodafone USB Dongle in to my laptop and connect up - where am i connecting to?

Vodafone nearest exchange (or just the nearest exchange?)?”

To the nearest Mobile Cell tower that carry Vodafone signal and than to the exchange

“If I am incorrect on the above then how will it differ to if I use a t mobile, or 3 Dongle?”

Yes T Mobile and 3 Dongle use difference frequency to transmit the wireless radio signal

Mobile Internet is no difference than Mobile Cell Phone one allow you to access the Internet and

the other allow you to make phone calls

“What is the difference between a usb modem and usb dongle?”

A USB Modem allow you to access the Internet via the phone line

A USB Wireless Mobile Dongle allow you to access the Internet via a wireless signal from the

collinsc 19:28 23 May 09

AHH excellent. thanks for responses.
Can i check who my nearest mobile cell tower is owned by? i.e. who would be best supplier for me?

I spoke to T Mobile and they said they had 'HSDTA' - what is that and do all of the providers have it?
thanks

collinsc 19:29 23 May 09

HSDPA sorry...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 23 May 09

click here

most companies use it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…