Wireless Broadband

Herrkutz 11:09 01 Nov 08

I've got an Edimax wireless broadband router. Someone has told me that anyone in my vicinity can tap into my system - using a laptop - as it is not secure. What do I need to do to protect?

toon_mad 11:20 01 Nov 08

open your web browser, type in 192.168.2.1 (may differ, check your manual). This will open your router setup page, find security normally on the left, if your router supports WPA encryption use that with a nice long password, dont use WEP. See if that helps a bit, I can crack WEP in 4 mins, WPA is harder/impossible to crack if you use a password 10 characters+ long, making sure your password is in upper,lowercase,and numbers - write it down too

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 01 Nov 08
  Herrkutz 14:11 01 Nov 08

Toon_mad. Many thanks for your guidance. After sending you an email I realised what I needed to do as regards keying in 192.168.2.1. But when I do that a password screen appears. The default password of 1234 does not work. Presumably that means that the guy who installed my router (many years ago) set a password that either he didn't tell or I've long since forgotten. But does the fact that there is password protection mean that my system is as secure as it can be? Or is there something else I can or should do to check?

kidsis 15:19 01 Nov 08

it's always best to have a password that you know, so that if you want to change any settings you have access to the router. You could reset the router which would give you back the default (original) password initially, which you would then change. It's up to you but I think that is what I would do in that situation.

woodchip 15:32 01 Nov 08

You can clear everything back to new by using a paper clip to reset it at the back of thr router. But you will then need to re-input your ISP settings

toon_mad 23:32 01 Nov 08

the password is usually blank or admin, if it doesnt work locate your router here and the password is shown with it: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017