Wireless Broadband

daz246 18:03 09 Nov 03

Dos this mean that the cable that is plugged into the back of the modem from the phone socket can be removed or wil this still be required??

Brian-336451 18:51 09 Nov 03

There's an ambiguous reply huh?

In order to access the internet, you won't need that cable anymore.

If, however, you wish to send a fax, you will need it - but only when you ACTUALLY want to send the fax.

If you don't fax, you could remove the modem altogether (I'm presuming that this is a desktop machine).

graham√ 19:36 09 Nov 03

The Broadband modem is still connected to the phone line. See a diagram click here

daz246 21:01 10 Nov 03

Ok now im confused, by looking at the website from graham it says that you don't need a router or anything. I have a USB modem into a desktop PC, I want to wireless network this to a laptop, to share files, printers and broadband. Both have network cards in them so is this sufficient???

A_World_Maker 21:28 10 Nov 03

Its good enough if all you want is a simple network (no more than 2 computers connected).. use a crossover ethernet cable to connect them.

As a side issue... did you know that you can send faxes through a broadband connection? Use symentec's fax software that comes with XP, it uses Outlooks address book to store fax numbers, and sends faxes across the internet to a server, whereby they are converted as a fax.

My advice, keep the modem installed and connected, Broadband isnt perfect. I use a click here pay as you go account, for those moments when my Broadband is down and that email just simply must go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…