Wireless Boradband.

t.long 19:45 10 Oct 04

I am switching from NTL cable to another ADSL provider. Because the telephon socket is so far away from the computer, and I do not want to worry with wires I was thinking of wireless. I was wondering can I set up a wireless modem/router at the telephone socket, then connect to it remotely, or does there need to be at least one PC wired to it?

easyrider 20:14 10 Oct 04

I don't think so but you do need to connect modem/router to a PC by wire, and telephone socket to setup the modem/router

easyrider 20:19 10 Oct 04

What else you will need to consider if you go wireless is exactly how far the modem/router is from your computer,are there any structural walls in the way,any water tanks,fish tanks or any sizeable metal object or body of water. All of the above interfere with signal.

TomG 21:01 10 Oct 04

To setup the router you first need to attach a pc to it. But once its setup you can disconnect then off you go.

My router is in the hall with two pcs in the lounge and two upstairs in bedrooms not had a problem with the signal.

I use belkin products reasonably ok and the good bit is that the support is available 24/7 and can also be available via a freephone number.

norman47 21:06 10 Oct 04

Yes TomG, they may cost a few pennies more,belkin, but the freephone support is excellent. :-)

easyrider 18:37 24 Dec 04

Please tick if resolved

t.long 23:04 30 Dec 04

Sorry people I always foget the tick!

easyrider 22:36 31 Dec 04

We all forget from time to time just glad that your problem is resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…