Wireless and Bluetooth - the difference please

Cara2 00:31 02 Dec 08

Am going to purchase a printer and would like it to be wireless.

However, I can not get my head around the different technology of wireless and bluetooth - printers seems to have either one, or both.

Anyone got a simple explanation please? Is there a preferred option?

Cara

Cara2 00:34 02 Dec 08

Sorry, I now think this may be in the incorrect forum. Not sure where it should be.

Cara

ambra4 01:10 02 Dec 08

What Is The Difference Between WiFi Technology And Bluetooth Technology?

WiFi is a wireless system that is universally used for getting on the internet.

It is available in hot spots in airports or in work areas.

You can also get WiFi by setting up a router in your home through a cat 5 cable.

Bluetooth is a wireless system that allows the communication of 2 Bluetooth enabled devices to transfer virtually anything.

This technology has replaced the IrDa, or infrared wireless tech.

Bluetooth is much faster and has a longer connectivity range.

Bluetooth can also be use in cell phone headsets, and wireless headphones to create a "wire free" environment.

Wireless Technology: Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMAX

click here

Hope this help

Cara2 11:29 02 Dec 08

Thanks for reply.

So, a bluetooth PC and bluetooth printer is a good option and will work well?

Rahere 17:31 02 Dec 08

Sorry ambra4 your response was incorrect.

You are correct bluetooth and wifi are both radio technologies, therefore both wireless.

But Bluetooth is limited in range, generally it can be used to a maximum of 10m, and it can be erratic in use even inside that range. Data speed is slower than wifi at 1-3 megabit per second (0.128 megabytes up to .384 megabytes or Mbps).

Cara2
It could be OK in a domestic environment eg for a printer but you would be better off with direct usb connection or a via a network either wired (100>1000 Mbps) or wifi >54Mbps. Both types of connection whould be more stable and consistent than bluetooth in my experience.

ambra4 18:44 02 Dec 08

Rahere

“But Bluetooth is limited in range, generally it can be used to a maximum of 10m”

It seems that your Information is out of date

Class Maximum Permitted Power mW(dBm) Range (approximate)

Class 1 - 100 mW (20 dBm) ~100 meters

Class 2 - 2.5 mW (4 dBm) ~10 meters

Class 3 - 1 mW (0 dBm) ~1 meter

Version Data Rate

Version 1 - 2 1 Mbit/s

Version 2.0 + - EDR 3 Mbit/s

WiMedia Alliance (proposed) 53 - 480 Mbit/s

In most cases the effective range of class 2 devices is extended if they connect to a class 1

transceiver, compared to a pure class 2 network.

This is accomplished by the higher sensitivity and transmission power of Class 1 devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…