wireless asdl network

Nessie 20:58 19 Feb 04

Is it easy to set up the above. I am about to buy a laptop with wirless within the machine. I have an internal pci asdl modem in my pc. Can anyone reccommend a cheap reliable adsl/router. Is it easy to configure. PC has XP Pro and laptop will have XP Home. Thanks in advance

explicitlyrics100 21:05 19 Feb 04

if you have a pci modem then just get a pci wireless card and there is no need for a router. You can just bridge the wireless connections and set up a point - 2 - point network. Otherwirse you can get a nice cheap wireless ap off ebuyer.com for under £50 probably.

Nessie 21:50 19 Feb 04

2 way easy to set up

explicitlyrics100 21:54 19 Feb 04

they are both about as much effort - sometimes it can be a pain to set an access point up - sometimes it can be a pain to get a wireless network card installed. If there was the choice id probably go for the ap because it is easier to set up security options...

Nessie 22:20 19 Feb 04

click here?

Does this work on a Bt phone line adsl as they all seem to mention blueyonder in reviews

Nessie 22:21 19 Feb 04

click here

sorry this one

explicitlyrics100 22:30 19 Feb 04

firstly - if your laptop is only coming with wifi-b 11mbps then you can get away with paying a lot less.

secondly - do you want a router or an access point? If you want a router then the pci modem in your pc is not needed. If you get a router you will need a external usb modem aswell unless if has an onboard one.

this is a reasonable access point and then you use your pc to host the internet connection to your laptop (pc must be on for laptop to access net)
click here

if you dont want to have the pc on all the time then you can get this router/adsl modem/access point
click here

If you have a 54mbps wireless laptop connection then you can just look at products that support the same specs but have wireless wifi-g instead of b

Nessie 22:34 19 Feb 04

laptop has fast version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…