wireless ap in repeater mode

mrdsgs 21:29 28 Nov 04

i have a d-link dsl-904 all in one router access point and it works perfectly both wired and wirelessly. very easy to set up for an idiot like me!!!

however, i am having no success at all getting a d-link dwl-2100ap access point to work in repeater mode. i can get it to work as a wired access point from the router but i want it to repeat the wireless access point signal from the dsl-904 so that as i move to parts of the house where i lose the 904 signal at present, it should be repeated/boosted by the 2100ap.

the manual says it can be done and i have followed the management programme and cannot see what i have missed.

basically, as soon as i disconnect the 2100ap from a lan cable connected to the 904, it disappears. it cannot be pinged

any thoughts or advice?

mrdsgs

TomJerry 21:56 28 Nov 04

have you have mac address filtering in your main AP, if you have you need to enter your repeater's mac address in the allow list, there is also wep key as well if you enabled encryption

mrdsgs 22:03 28 Nov 04

no filtering at the moment, neither allow or deny until i get everything working

mrdsgs

easyrider 14:46 29 Nov 04

I had similar problem with a netgear dg824m router and a wg602 wireless access point and after discussion with netgear tech services was told that the router was not capable of doing what I was trying to do. Their suggestion was either buy another access point or upgrade my router to one that was able to carry out what I required, it has something to do with being WDM capable.

easyrider 14:50 29 Nov 04

Sorry WDM should be WDS

TomJerry 14:52 29 Nov 04

according to product specification give in d-link web site click here

May be you need to directly link to a PC and make configuration first. Many wireless routers do not link wireless configuration.

TomJerry 15:41 29 Nov 04

all routers use same SSID (or SSID broadcast enableed)

All routers use the same frequency channle.

Extract from Manual: "AP Repeater will allow you to repeat the wireless signal of the root AP. Click to enable and enter the MAC address of the root AP."

mrdsgs 16:44 29 Nov 04

i will keep trying but i thinkl i have followed the above advice from ther manual.

i am sure i am missing something obvious.

i always try the configuration wired, as i get no connection wirelessly.

the probklem comes as soon as i disconnect the lan cable.

mrdsgs

easyrider 19:49 29 Nov 04

I think that you will find that your router is not capable of doing what you want if it is not enabled for Wireless Distribution System (WDS). The only way would be to have two access points one of which would have to be wired to your router

mrdsgs 22:41 29 Nov 04

easyrider

i think i had come to that conclusion but i will check the wireless router spec.

i know i can set up a second access point but i was hoping to avoid the need for a lan cable. however, it is nota problem

marked as resolved.

mrdsgs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017