Scottyuk1811 16:52 29 Oct 05

I am a novice in computing terms, I have recently signed up for AOL Silver and had been planning to buy a wireless router so that when i buy a PDA next month I would be able to access my emails without Daddy being banished to the 'unclean computer'room upstairs!
I ahve read that there are problems with wireless and AOL Silver. Has anybody set up a wireless connection at home and if so what is the best router to buy? Any tips on setting up? ( in plain English please as Im an old duffer trying to catch up with technology}

Taff36 08:29 30 Oct 05

Two things then. AOL helpline are notoriously unco-operative about wireless unless you buy a router from them. They may even tell you that you need to upgrade to a more expensive service for their wireless connection. They actually mean they won`t give you support unless you do. No matter you will get all the help you need here.

I have set up three AOL connections with this router click here You can use the "collect from store" facility to reserve this router from your local store. I used to save about £20 everytime I bought one this way but the instore price has been dropped by £10 and the collect from store price has risen by about £5 - still a saving though.

This bundle comes with a USB wireless adapter that will cost you £30 if bought seperately and you can use it on any computer with a USB port to give it wireless connectivity. It has a good quality extension lead and base cradle that means you can locate the "transmitter" in the best position for the signal and still see the reassuring LED`s flashing. I position mine on a shelf above the computer.

There are plenty of other routers around. Have a look at the offers on Netgear and Linksys.

Setup is easy but there are a couple of tricks. Your user name and password have to be in the format [email protected] and the MTU setting of the router set at 1400 (I think) - we`ll sort that out when you`ve had a good look around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…