Wireless Advice Required

webheathcloseup 20:52 25 Nov 07

I currently have broadband access (through Virgin) and I am thinking of moving my PC to an upstairs bedroom. By using a wireless router and network adapter could I do this without having to go to the trouble and expense of having the cable connection point moved from were it is? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Webheathcloseup

mgmcc 22:47 25 Nov 07

Yes, provided you can get a good signal, install a wireless "Cable/DSL" router beside the Cable Modem (or Set-top box). You should then be able to connect "wirelessly" to it from the PC if you install a Wireless Network Adapter, which can be either an internal PCI card or a USB adapter.

webheathcloseup 09:38 26 Nov 07

Thanks for the advice. I have just purchased a Belkin G Router + USB Wireless adapter and started the set up procedure using the CD provided by Belkin. I have connected the cable modem to the router using the cable provided. Unfortunately in step 3 of the setup, for the router, it is asking me to connect a cable from the router to my PC. As the PC is now in another room this is not possible. As I am unable to do this it will not let me proceed with the set up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Webheathcloseup

mcut 10:03 26 Nov 07

have you installed the usb adapter prior to running the router setup

ambra4 11:07 26 Nov 07

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router set-up.

Using a wireless connected computer for set-up is NOT recommended to access router set-up at any time.

As you can corrupt the router when the router is saving the new setting via wireless

You will also lose the wireless signal when the router is rebooting

mgmcc 12:00 26 Nov 07

You can actually set up a Cable/DSL router and configure it for wireless networking *WITHOUT* it being connected to the Cable Modem. Just connect one ethernet cable between the PC's network port and one of the router's LAN ports.

If you can set it up to get the PC and Router communicating successfully with a wireless connection, you can then return the router to beside the Cable Modem (or Set-top Box) and connect its WAN port to the modem's ethernet port.

Strawballs 10:26 27 Nov 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now