Wireless advice for newcomer

BOTHWELL 09:11 16 Apr 07

I have just ordered a laptop and am wanting to set up a wireless connection to my broadband. As I've heard so much about problems with some routers/bad connections, etc. I am looking for simple advice on what's best. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 running Windows Vista Premium, and it has an Intel Pro Wireless 3945 Mini PCI card 802.11 a/b/g. My broadband is with Virgin Media, and at present I have a modem supplied by them connected through my BT landline, and wired to my PC. Can anyone suggest what wireless router would be best for my laptop. Am I best to get a modem/router in the one unit, or do you buy a seperate wireless router to connect to my existing modem? Any suggestions/ good makes, etc. very welcome as I am getting a bit lost the more I read!!

rodriguez 13:54 16 Apr 07

If you're Internet is ADSL (it comes through the phone line instead of cable) then you can get an all-in-one modem/wireless router. If it's cable, you'll need a separate wireless router that plugs into your cable modem.

BOTHWELL 20:01 16 Apr 07

Thanks. Yes, my internet is ADSL, so I'll get a combined router/modem. Anyone any ideas of good reliable makes? Tesco are doing a Buffalo all in one router/modem with a USB wireless connector (which I presume means I could connect my existing pC wirelessly as well) for £44. Would this be OK, or are there better ones without breaking the bank?

Strawballs 22:40 16 Apr 07

Buffalo are a good make, other makes to look out for are 3com, Belkin, Linksys & netgear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…