Wireless ADSL router - what does it actually do?!

montyburns 19:32 30 May 05

Just bought a laptop with 802.11g built in, and a wireless ADSL router as part of the bundle

We have Wanadoo Broadband on our desktop PC, and are wondering what we can actually do with this

It's described as "D-Link, High Speed Broadband Internet Access, 54MPS wireless broadband internet bundle"

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but 54MPS is dialup speed isn't it? Not broadband?

Also, if we whack this thing onto our desktop PC connection, will it mess up our existing setup?

What I'm assuming is this (assuming we can get it going!)

- Desktop PC will stay as broadband
- Laptop will log in via router kit wirelessly, at 54mps
- To log laptop in, we'll need an extra account (over and above the broadband) so it'll cost us more money

Am I right in my assumptions?

Any help appreciated!

Dave

Magik ®© 19:36 30 May 05

yuo will run all your PC's from the router, by just fitting a wireless adaptor to the desktop PC, the laptop already having one..

HondaMan 19:51 30 May 05

I'm with AOL. I have 7 email addresses. One is my dsl connection name with which my modem/router connects to AOL, whether or not either of the computers are on. When I turn the computers on, each one connects to the wireless network and I then have access to the internet via any browser I care to use, AOL, Mozilla Firefox, MSN explorer, IE, or any others that are available.

Biella 19:51 30 May 05

The old dial-up connection speed was 56kps, most broadband suppliers have a base speed of 1Mps, so your new ADSL router will be more than adequate for the job.

I'm guessing that at the moment you're connecting to BB by a modem connected by a usb connection. You can still keep this connection active whilst you are setting up your ADSL connection without any problem.

Also you won't have to set up another account you can simply duplicate the details from your desktop pc onto the laptop.

Taff36 20:09 30 May 05

You basically create a home network with the D-Link as your "Access Point" linking the laptop and the desktop to it. You will need a wireless USB device for the desktop to do it. Once you have all three communicating with each other you are able to swap files between laptop and desktop for example.

If you look at the D-Link you should see an ADSL connector which you plug straight into your phone line master socket. Obviously you need the router plugged into the mains somewhere close to this.

Then you configure the D-Link router to talk to Wanadoo just as your other broadband modem did. Sounds easy doesn`t it? Let me know which router it is and I`ll see if I can help you.

montyburns 20:13 30 May 05

The router is a D-Link DSL 904

Are you good folks telling me that all I need to do is whack this gizmo onto the phone line, fling the dongle into the desktop PC, boot up PC and laptop, and then I can enjoy broadband on the desktop AND the laptop at the same time - without shelling out any more hard earned?

Sounds too good to be true!

Dave

webber_man 20:17 30 May 05

The ADSL router would normally connect directly to your desktop and will replace your current modem and you can hook it up to your desktop and connect to your normal broadband connection as normal. Although i believe you can still use your current modem and just use the router capabilities if you wish. Your laptop will then connect to the internet through the router (therefore using the same broadband connection). Because BB is 'always on' you will only need to connect via/through the router and when you switch your descktop/laptop on they will connect automatically.

You will not have to pay any more for this set up. The 54MPS you refer to is the transfer speed for the network - i.e. The speed you can transfer files between the desktop and laptop. Both machines will connect to BB at the normal speed.

Once connected, either using the desktop or laptop, you can then log into your respective email accounts as normal.

I actually have 3 machines set up all using the same BB connection through a modem/router without any problem at all.

Taff36 20:25 30 May 05

What you`ve got is better than you think. A Wireless router and a bundled free USB wireless adapter. This one click here. I`ve installed three myself and two on this forum.

Webber_man is not quite correct but I may have misunderstood him. The Router is stand alone. There is no need for cables to the desktop or the laptop but it can be done this way because the router in question has 4 cable ports as well. Everything, apart from the ADSL connection to the phone line is wireless.

webber_man 20:25 30 May 05

Yep. Nothing else to pay out if, according to the D-Link site this is what you have - click here

As it says - "This router lets you quickly and easily connect to high-speed broadband Internet and share your ADSL line."

The only thing you may need to do to get everything talking to each other is to tweak your firewall (eg Windows Firewall or Zonealarm). From personal experience although my machines could connect to the BB connection ok they couldn't 'see' each other and therefore share files. A bit of fiddling solved that though.

Just post back here if you do have any problems.

webber_man 20:30 30 May 05

Re connecting to the desktop - i was assuming that the desktop does not have wireless capabilities already, in which case a wired connection to the desktop would be required. This is not big deal though as the modem often sits beside the desktop anyway - and it's not like you'll move it about. But if the desktop is wireless enabled then yes, no need for any wires.

Taff36 20:31 30 May 05

Can you help me with this one? click here If so post on that thread. I need to know how you`ve done it because AOL won`t give me any information. "Router not supported by AOL" *r*p!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…