Wireless ADSL network and WEP

sharkfin 16:21 02 Dec 05

hello, sorry about the multiple threads over the last few days but i got another one for yah.

I've set up and wireless network with my Desktop ond new laptop which is working fine now after a day of problems.

and i just have a few questions regarding the security aspect of the setup.

Its a Netgear 802.11g modem router BTW.

By just just accessing interent through this modem router, does it act like a firewall automatically? I cant seem to find any options about firewalls in the menus. Can I safely disable Xp's firewall then?

In the WEP configuration section, I specified a word and the router automatically provided 4 WEP keys. My laptop and desktop are both using key 1 so i'm just wondering what the other 3 keys are for? i tried using the other keys but the computers simply wouldnt connect to the network.

Chegs ®™ 16:57 02 Dec 05

Erm,I haven't got a Netgear 802.11g router,but both my routers(Actiontec/Sweex)have their firewalls enabled by default.I haven't a clue where in the Sweex to go to alter the firewall settings(I borrowed it and the lad who brought it over has lost the CD/Instruction booklet)but the Actiontec has a setting cfg section in the webpage setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now