Wireless ADSL Modem/Router

steve12345 14:06 18 Sep 05

I'm looking to upgrade my wireless modem/router.

I currently have an old Actiontech (wireless-b) unit with 4 PC's connected wirelessly. Everytime someone disconnects (switches off pc), the connection is disrupted for some time before it is reconnected. Do the newer models overcome this now?

I'm currently looking at :

Belkin -

click here

D-Link -

click here

Linksys -

click here

and Netgear DG834GT -

click here

Anyone have one of these and would recommend it? What do you think of it?

ajm 14:18 18 Sep 05

I have had the Netgear DG834G for quite a while now connected to a Windows PC through Ethernet cable and wirelessly to a Apple Powerbook without any problems.

The DG834GT has a 108mbs speed verus 54mbs on teh DG834G. You will not see any difference in internet speed usinng any of the two. If you are sharing files across a small network, then the DG834GT has a maximum speed of 108Mbs. However to get the maximum transfer speeds, you would need to also upgrade the wireless network cards to the netgear 108mbs speed.

If you are connecting via LAN/Etherenet, stick with the DG834G

Chegs ® 14:21 18 Sep 05

I also use an Actiontec wireless-ready Gateway,I have never had the problem you described when switching off other PC's connected.Have you tried updating its firmware(via the config pages)

There all much the same,although I found that Belkin devices seem to have security enabled by default.The D-Link model is used by a neighbour and I discovered I can login to their net connection with my laptop,if I knew whose it was I would have knocked and informed them of this. :-)

Taff36 14:40 18 Sep 05

For the D-Link click here Cheaper and with a bundled USB adapter worth £29.99 !!! Buy online and collect from store for less than e-buyer. (If you don`t want the adapter I`ll make you an offer - I can use a spare one.)

woodchip 14:42 18 Sep 05

And I use this click here

Taff36 14:54 18 Sep 05

Just bought another one for a friend. You don`t even have to pay on line - reserve it for a working day and pay when you collect. Still a bargain! (I`ll still buy the spare adapter from you)

steve12345 00:15 19 Sep 05

Thanks for the input everyone.

ajm: There's only a couple of quid between the G and Gt version, so if I get the netgear, I may as well go for the GT version.

Chegs: Yes I've upgraded the firmware. It could be that one of the PC's may not be using the b-standard wifi-adapter that is causing it to pause. It's time to change it anyway.

Taff36: Thanks for the info. The price difference is not that much really and the EBuyer one comes with the USB adapter as well (I may have given the link to the one without it). I'll need to order more USB adapters anyway so there won't be any spare to sell to you. :P

Anyone use a linksys one? Are they any good?

Taff36 07:00 19 Sep 05

If you need more adapters I would go for a cheaper Belkin one. The D-Link ones have handy USB extension cables with heavy bases that don`t fall over but I`ve found that a much cheaper Belkin simply plugged into a USB port at the back of a computer works fine. Their bases are emminently scrapable in my experience - just lie around looking dead on the desktop! I wonder if D-Link do a multipack though?

dagbladet 09:49 19 Sep 05

Taff, does the base have any tech function or is it purely an extension.

Taff36 13:09 19 Sep 05

An extension which allows you to a) see the blinking green lights which means that the adapter is working and transmitting data and b)allows you to move the adapter (Transmitter) around a bit to get a better signal. The base on the D-Links are weighted so you can position them anywhere - on top of a CRT monitor, on a nearby shelf etc. The cheaper Belkin models are hollow plastic, the wires come away from their clips and they fall over if you open a window BUT they`re OK plugged straight in to the USB socket.

That`s why I recommend the D-Link because it`s a quality build all round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…