Wireless ADSL Modem Router and USB adapters

Howard's Way 17:24 24 Apr 04

I have just purchased from Evesham Computers a Puretec ADSL Modem and 2 USB adapters to connect a dekstop computer running ME and a laptop running XP. I have after 5 hours got the desktop on line and working but I am unable to get the laptop working the adapter has installed but comes up with an error message "Wireless LAN controlled by Windows zero configuration" I have uninstllaed and reinstalled 3 times but the same error message comes up.

Tried Evesham but they were a complete waste of time. Anybody heard of this before?

Forum Editor 17:36 24 Apr 04

run the networking wizard on the XP machine, and make a floppy for use on the ME machine?

Howard's Way 17:51 24 Apr 04

I have got the second USB adapter working but the lap top will not go on line. Is this direct to the router or is this via the desktop, I have also got to get the network working yet!

mgmcc 19:45 24 Apr 04

If you are using a router, the router connects to the internet and gets the IP address allocated by the ISP. It then acts as a network switch and the two PCs connect to it. They should both be set to get their IP addresses automatically and they do so from the router's DHCP server.

The wireless adapters should be set to seek "Infrastructure" networks, the monitor should find the network with the SSID as set in the router and you should then "connect" to that network. The adapter should then get its IP address from the router.

Check the IP address that the XP laptop is getting. If it is set to get the address automatically and has an address starting 169, this is a Windows default address because it isn't getting one from the DHCP server.

If you go into the Command Prompt window and type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press Enter, you will see the addresses that have been allocated. You probably want an address in the range 192.168.0.xxx but if it shows 169.xxx type "ipconfig /release" to release the current address (which should set it to 0.0.0.0) then type "ipconfig /renew" to renew the addresses and, hopefully, get an address from the router.

Also, make sure that any firewall software you are running is configured to allow access to the IP addresses of the two PCs and the router. While setting up, you might want to disconnect from the internet and shut down any firewall software to be sure that isn't causing any problems.

Howard's Way 20:06 24 Apr 04

Thanks for all the help guys. I have both the computers on line at the same time now great. I will try and configure the network so the 2 computers can share a printer etc. tomorrow as I have been at this since 11am.

However I notice now they are always on line as soon as I turn the computers on, there are no 2 flashing monitors like before and I cannot seem to be able to stop being on line if the computer is on. I have tried looking in the USB adapter config settings but cannot see anything there.

The ADSL Router modem does not appear in the list Dial Up connections.

mgmcc 20:18 24 Apr 04

<<However I notice now they are always on line as soon as I turn the computers on, there are no 2 flashing monitors like before and I cannot seem to be able to stop being on line if the computer is on>>

As soon as you turn on the computers, the "network" is running, i.e. the connection from the PC to the router.

Your PC is no longer connected directly to the internet - the "router" connects to the internet and "routes" the relevant packets to the appropriate PC on the LAN

<<The ADSL Router modem does not appear in the list Dial Up connections>>

You don't have a "Dial Up Connection", you are now connecting over a "Local Area Network". The Router connects to the ISP, not the individual PC.

Don't worry, all is as it's supposed to be ;)

In XP, if you right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties, you can tick the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" - then you'll have your 2 little monitors, but they will be there permanently because they relate to the LAN, not the internet connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…