Wireless adapting ?

  Furkin 12:32 11 Nov 10

ACER T120 Desktop - Wired.
XPpro sp3 - IE8.

As you will gather, I don't know anything about 'wireless'.

I was hoping to add some wireless adapter/device to my machine to send & receive data from a remote item: laptop, hdd etc

I recently bought a USB Wireless Dongle, ( click here ) but this only seemed to want to log onto a wireless BB connection (unless - of course - I was using it wrong). In the end it stopped working altogether & had to be returned. I now see that they are no longer available, so I guess they might have been faulty – but just a guess.

I've also seen pci cards that seem to be similar.

1/ Was I using the dongle wrong ?
2/ Apart from the actual fitting, is there a difference between a USB & a pci item ?
3/ If I am completely wrong, what do I need to send & receive data to my machine ?

Thanks for reading,,,,

  Nontek 12:55 11 Nov 10

Well first off, are you connecting Desktop PC via a Router? If so, the rest is easy, but we need to know this first and if so what Router?

  Furkin 13:01 11 Nov 10

Hi Nontek,
I'm using a BT HomeHub 2.0 router.

  Nontek 13:12 11 Nov 10

OK, nice-n-easy to sort. Most laptops have built-in wi-fi, but if not you will need a wireless dongle to connect to desktop. What laptop is it. The dongle in your link should work fine if the laptop does not have wi-fi built-in.

Also, is this needed just to use the laptop in another room in your home, cos if so there is an even simpler way of connecting.

  Nontek 13:15 11 Nov 10

I recently bought a USB Wireless Dongle, ( click here ) but this only seemed to want to log onto a wireless BB connection ...... yes, it was trying to log on to your BT HomeHub, which is exactly what you want it to do - but you need to run its software and type in the Wireless Key found on the back of the HomeHub.

  mgmcc 13:22 11 Nov 10

A "Wireless Network Adapter", whether a USB dongle or an internal PCI card, normally connects to a "Wireless Access Point" and in practice this usually means a wireless router. This is called an "Infrastructure" network.

However, Wireless Network Adapters can also be configured to operate in an "Ad Hoc" network. This is where the computers connect directly to each other instead of connecting via a Wireless Access Point.

  Furkin 13:42 11 Nov 10

thanks guys,
My Desktop machine is connected to the Router via ethernet cable. (this throws up another question: do I need a dongle at all,,, seeing that the router is hard wired ?)
When I first installed the dongle it did indeed connect to the router after setting it up.
I did say I know nothing about wireless,,,,, I couldn't see how to transfer data (to or from) another machine or item.
I don't have a laptop yet, so can't quote features etc.
When my son popped in with his laptop some weeks ago, (pre dongle) he was able to log on to my B.B,,,, but again, I have no idea how to transfer data, or if it's possible with the setup that I have.
Ultimately I want a remote wireless hdd for my financial records.

  Nontek 13:56 11 Nov 10

Hmm, getting a fuller picture now, I thought you just wanted to connect laptop to Internet wirelessly via your home desktop setup.

To transfer data between the two when they are connected wirelessly, you will need to set-up File Sharing on both PC's. Or you could use Infra-red to make the transfer, as long as both PC's have line-of-sight.

  Nontek 13:58 11 Nov 10

For infra-red you would need Ir dongles.

click here

  Furkin 14:31 11 Nov 10

,,,, when you say File Sharing, how would that work with, say, a remote hdd ?
I was thinking of getting a wireless hdd caddy/case.

  Nontek 14:58 11 Nov 10

File sharing only works between two PC's. What exactly do you mean by remote HDD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…