wireless adapter over long range?

CrAzY_Dec 21:00 23 Aug 09

hello, new to the forums and hoping people can help me. i have a BT Home hub 2.0 and i will soon be getting a computer without wireless capabilities and i would like to know what the best adapter there is to get for a distance of 20 metres of wireless reception, also if its possible to have an adapter that has multiple ports for other such things such as xbox, and possible other non wireless computers. if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated.

Regards, Declan Stephens.

ambra4 22:57 23 Aug 09

“Also if its possible to have an adapter that has multiple ports for other such things such as xbox, and possible other non wireless computers”

The BT Home Hub / Router have all the features that will allow other user to connect either via

the 4 Ethernet hard wire connections or via the wireless system

click here

“I will soon be getting a computer without wireless capabilities”

If a desktop you can inctall a PCI Internal Wireless Card or use an USB Wireless Adapter

Sample of a PCI Internal Wireless Card

click here

Sample of a USB Wireless Network Adapter

click here

If a laptop you can use USB Wireless Adapter or an Wireless PC Card Adapter

Sample of a Wireless PC Card Adapter

click here

ambra4 23:12 23 Aug 09

“Best adapter there is to get for a distance of 20 metres of wireless reception”

A standard Wireless card / Adapter will have a range about100m indoors depending on the

amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal, interferance from wireless cordless phones etc

and a range in open space about 300m

CrAzY_Dec 08:55 24 Aug 09

problem then being with these adapters i only have one ethernet port available. preferably i would need 4 the PCI wireless card is an option but i would still need more than one ethernet port from the pc itself for other things.

the situation im in, is that i am having a wood cabin office being built in the garden atleast 20m if not more away from the wireless BT home hub router. seeing as cable isn't an option, this is where wireless comes in to play. i would like something of a wireless reciever that can recieve the wireless signal and have ethernet ports to connect from that reciever. if that makes any sense.

again thanks for any help, it is appreaciated alot.

Regards, Declan Stephens.

dms_05 08:58 26 Aug 09

You are obviously going to have mains electric to your new office. You should consider Homeplug which uses the mains cable to transfer the internet around your property click here I use this system for longer runs in my home where Wifi won't work. You can buy Homeplug adaptors widely click here as an example.

Essentially you need a Homeplug to connect to your Router by a LAN cable and another at the remote location. Both simply plug into the mains socket and connect to the equipment by a LAN cable. At the remote location you can plug the Homeplug into a Network Switch with as many LAN outlets as you need click here for an example.

Homeplug will work within your home provided you are on a single phase of electricity (extremely unlikely you are two or more phases as that's for big industrial users).

Homeplug is simple plug'n'play and requires no installation. The same applies to the network switch.

Strawballs 22:52 26 Aug 09

If you are going wireless why would you need more than one ethernet port because as explained wireless uses either USB or PCI unless you are talking about USB ports in which case you will need a USB hub

click here= the powered ones are better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5