Wireless access to my printer from my laptop

69er 19:12 02 Mar 06

Recently bought a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL wireless router(on recommendation from a guy @ pcworld)and have my desktop plugged into it. My laptop accesses the internet fine through it. My sons computer upstairs also accesses the internet fine through this. I would like to access my printer from the laptop wirelessly but dont know how to do it. Can anyone tell me how to do this, do I need to buy something else for it to work? The printer is an Epson RX700. Forgive me but I may seem stupid about this

smy13 19:21 02 Mar 06

Control Panel
Printers and Faxes
right click on active printer Icon
sharing tab
highlight 'share this printer'
Apply
close
I believe that this should do the trick, your printer
needs to be connected to the PC that connects to your router through a cable (hope this makes sense)

ade.h 20:37 02 Mar 06

Smy13 is correct in that advice.

It seems strange that you weren't given the opportunity to share it when you ran the Network Setup Wizard on each PC; when this is run on a PC that has an installed printer, it gets offered as part of File and Printer Sharing.

You have run this wizard, I assume?

69er 09:08 03 Mar 06

I've tried what you suggested but still cant get the printer to work from my laptop. Sorry if I'm being thick.

sandy1640 09:30 03 Mar 06

have you tried putting an wireless usb stick in the back of the printer to add it to the network

69er 09:33 03 Mar 06

havent tried that one. thank you

smy13 11:43 03 Mar 06

click here

69er

Try this article printers are on page 2 i've found it reaaly helpful in the past

smy13 11:54 03 Mar 06

Just a thought once you've set up print sharing as I suggested:
On your laptop
Go to Network place
Printer & Faxes
you should be able to see the printer here and it should have a black circle with a white tick in in above the printer icon to show that it's your default printer for the laptop. If it's not set as default.
left click over the icon and select the option set as default printer

69er 14:05 03 Mar 06

smt13
Going to try and get it sorted over the weekend. Haven't read the complete article yet. On my laptop the printer doesn't come up as an icon, just add new printer which i've tried but it cannot be found

smy13 15:14 03 Mar 06

sometimes when I "lose" my printer rebooting my router solves the problem

69er 21:43 06 Mar 06

Got it sorted now, bought a print server. Thank you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac