Wireless access links

truane 15:51 PM 07 Oct 11

I am trying to find a device that can take an ethernet cable from my cabled router and provide a wifi signal for my home. I don't want a wireless repeater because I don't have wifi at the moment. I need something to convert from cabled LAN to wifi, as it were. Different terms are being used to describe these devices and I can't seem to sort them out. Any makes and models, please?

onthelimit1 15:56 PM 07 Oct 11

Would not the easiest be to change your existing router for a wireless one? EG - this one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 PM 07 Oct 11

Cabled router?

Who is your broadband supplier?

Do you have a fibre optic cable to your modem then cable to router and then able to PC?

or a phone line to router and cable to PC?

truane 16:58 PM 07 Oct 11

My ISP is Plusnet and I have a phone to modem-router, then ethernet to PC's. Yes, one option would be to change the modem-router for a wireless one, but it would need to have at least 2 ethernet ports because our PC's have no wifi and I would need to be absolutely certain that any such replacement would be compatible with Plusnet. I have, in fact, already bought one such a device, but, despite assurances, it turned out to be hard-coded to Tiscali. I have tried hard and soft resets, but to no avail. It will only work into Tiscali.

onthelimit1 17:19 PM 07 Oct 11

Your setup is not cable, but ASDL. The router I suggested would be fine and has 4 ethernet ports.

Woolwell 17:21 PM 07 Oct 11

Most routers have 4 ethernet ports. Which model router do you have? Did you get it from Tiscali or buy second hand?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 PM 07 Oct 11

You need an ADSL wireless router Netgear Linksys Dlink are all good make and any of these will work.

truane 17:31 PM 07 Oct 11

The Tiscali router I got second-hand. It is a Thomson TG585 V7, which is a model previously supplied by Plusnet and that's why I got it, thinking it would be compatible. I did not bargain on the Tiscali "connection".

I think I had better find out which wireless 4-port router Plusnet is currently supplying and go for that one. Might save a lot of messing around.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

onthelimit1 17:42 PM 07 Oct 11

'The router I suggested would be fine and has 4 ethernet ports'

As you are not on cable, I should have said the ADSL version of the router in the link would be fine! ( and also has 4 ports)enter link description here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know