wireless access to internet

morjah 01:04 12 Nov 05

Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet using my wireless connection on my Dell Laptop to my Netgear router DG834GT via home PC . I can connect no prob at work but cannot through my PC though I am connected to the wireless network. Am i issing something really obvious?

Forum Editor 23:36 12 Nov 05

to connect to a wireless network at work, that connection will be set as the default, and your computer will try to connect to it automatically.

When you're at home, double-click on the wireless network icon in your system tray (bottom right of your screen) and select your home network from the list of available networks. Then click the 'connect' button, and your computer will make the connection to your Netgear router.

morjah 23:45 12 Nov 05

Hi Forum Editor. Thank you for your response. I can connect o the router but am unable to connect to the internet or my e-mail. On double clicking the explorer icon it just hangs. My MAC number is registered by the router. Am I missing out something obvious?

martjc 14:01 13 Nov 05

...with the router? Look on the setup disk - you may need to run it on your laptop in order to make a good connection.

morjah 23:16 13 Nov 05

Thanks for the advice martjc. I'm still going round in circles. basically i can access my own network (ad hoc) and shows good signal strength etc but when I try to get into Explorer it goes nowhere. I've changed so many settings i don't know if it's New York or New Year. Should it be ad -hoc? Do I need to set my laptop up as a network computer (assume I know nothing!)? i'm sure its really obvious but I'm just missing it. losing will to go on!

woodchip 16:02 14 Nov 05

As the Laptop got Built in Wi-Fi or a PCMCIA card in the slot? If it's a Card you have to put your Router Configuration Settings into the Card Software

PsiFox 15:57 15 Nov 05

Is the home router set to allow clients by mac address only. If so you will need to add the mac address of your wireless nic onto the router.

morjah 16:13 15 Nov 05

Its a Dell Latitude with built in Wi-fi. Yes my router allows clients by mac only and I have, as far as I know, put in the correct Mac address. How can I check my computers address? I assume it must be correct or I wouldn't be allowed to connect to it. ?

BurrWalnut 15:30 16 Nov 05

This may help :-
Internet Options, Connections Tab, check that the ISP is correct and then tick 'Always dial my default.....'.

morjah 15:58 16 Nov 05

I'll try it. i think I may have been down that route but one get confused. I'll let you know. Ta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…