Wireless access Hot Spots

johnincrete 07:06 13 Apr 09

If I switch on a laptop that has built in wireless access stuff, what happens to tell me I am close to a "hot spot" and so can fire up a browser etc.
Please use simple terms for this real novice!!

sunnystaines 08:53 13 Apr 09

be careful of honey pots in town centres they hope you log into their free wifi then hack into your lappy.

in residential areas it not allowed to tune into someones wifi without permission.

most cafe's these days give free wifi to customers thats your best bet.

Pineman100 11:54 14 Apr 09

Right-click on the wifi icon in your System Tray (bottom right-hand corner of the screen) then click on 'Connect to a network'.

In the next window, make sure that that the box marked 'Show' has either 'All' or 'Wireless' in it. It will then list all of the wireless networks available to you, along with their signal strengths.

To connect to one of them, click on it, then click Connect. If it's a secured network, you will of course need the security key.

Just take heed of what sunnystaines says about your own security, and other people's networks.

johnincrete 21:23 14 Apr 09

The threat that is posed: does normal anti virus protection software protect me - in which case I will adopt the normal backup procedure first and then go ahead - or am I still vulnerable? in which case forget it! It is so difficult for we babes to see what is hype and what is true.

OTT_Buzzard 22:01 14 Apr 09

....is only paret of the protection you need on any internet connected computer.
They will only stop malicious code after it's in your system

The first level of defence is to have a firewall - this will help fend off unwanted connections to your computer. Prevention is better than the cure.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5