Wireless???

dave_johnston2k 14:32 01 Mar 06

I have just purchased an Alienware Aurora Notebook. I want to go wireless but I am unsure of the kit and equipment required. I have some knowledge of computers, but have never attempted wireless before.

The computer comes with an Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g miniPCI Card. Would a wireless router be all I need to pulg my Broadband connection into and off I go??

Cheers
Dave

The 12th Man 15:26 01 Mar 06

Hi Dave,

If you are with NTL or Telewest or basically have a cable router, all you will need is a Wirless Router. This will then connect via a cable to your supplied modem and you're good to go.

If you have a connection through a BT line, then you will needan ADSL modem/router. You can box up your supplied modem and just use the modem/router.

Don't forget to read the manuals as you will have to configure the router and put protection on it. If you are struggling, we'll do our best to help.

dave_johnston2k 16:34 02 Mar 06

I am using an NTL connection. Would the following bit of kit cut the mustard??

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch

If not, what would be the recommended choice?

Cheers
Dave

ade.h 17:58 02 Mar 06

Either that, a Belkin 7632 or a Linksys.

Spend about £70 SRP at the most. Less when you shop around. Don't just trot off to PC World unless there happens to be a good online offer with Collect at Store available on it. (That's how I bought mine).

ade.h 18:13 02 Mar 06

Cut that; I've just read your confirmation that you are a cable customer - not ADSL - and therefor your choice of Netgear will absolutely not work! So don't rush out to buy one.

It's a modem/router, so I based my suggestions on that fact; you need a router.

ade.h 18:20 02 Mar 06

click here My choice for ease of setup and security.

click here

click here My choice for value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac