Wireles networking problem

ajayhomer 07:17 20 Jun 06

(started this on wrong forum, so I've copied it here)

I have a BTVoyager 2091 wireless router, working fine with the host pc connected by usb. My xbox 360 uses the ethernet connection with no problems at all.
Now, I have a fairly old laptop with a Belkin wireless network pcmcia card.
I have the configuration details for the router; network name, network key, authentication type, data encryption type etc., and all has been entered correctly into the Belkin wireless utility setup.
The connection is set up as shared on the main pc.

However the laptop cannot connect to the host pc's network.

To maybe confuse things a little: the host pc is running XP, the laptop is running win98se. Now although I realise this makes it more complicated, I have gotten a similar situation to work: connecting both together through a USB cable; by making a Netsetup floppy.

To make things more confusing (to me anyway):

- my son has a PSP and a DS, both find and connect to the router just fine thank you, and use the net connection

- The router manager on the host pc can see the "wireless client" e.g. the laptop and list it's MAC address, and plot it's online time. The Wireless utility on the laptop can see and connect to the router. But no other software; BT yahoo setup software, Netsetup.exe, etc., etc. can find the network and get the two "talking."

Does anyone know if this is a "known" problem with wireless networking and win98? Especially when trying it between XP and 98?

(My sister had the same problem, although her laptop card was a BT one not belkin, however she gave up - I'm not! )

Thanks again to anyone who reads and helps.

mgmcc 08:06 20 Jun 06

<<< The connection is set up as shared on the main pc. >>>

If you mean that you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on a connection in the PC, then you shouldn't have. When you use a router, there is no "host" PC, all computers connect directly to the router (either with a "wired" connection or "wirelessly") and get their Local Area Network connectivity and Internet access via the router. There is no additional *direct* connection between computers.

<<< The Wireless utility on the laptop can see and connect to the router. >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

<<< Does anyone know if this is a "known" problem with wireless networking and win98? Especially when trying it between XP and 98? >>>

No, networking 98 and XP is not in itself a problem.

ajayhomer 08:56 20 Jun 06

<<<<<If you mean that you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on a connection in the PC, then you shouldn't have. When you use a router, there is no "host" PC, all computers connect directly to the router (either with a "wired" connection or "wirelessly") and get their Local Area Network connectivity and Internet access via the router. There is no additional *direct* connection between computers>>>

I have it shared as I have another pc connected thru' a USB linq cable (not thru' the router) to the host pc. Would this be a problem, or just unneccessary in terms of the laptop's connectivity?

<<<<Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.>>>>

The wireless adapter connects and gets an ip address....

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply :)

mgmcc 11:10 20 Jun 06

If you are sharing your PC's internet connection, it would have to be enabled on the connection to the router, although it would be much better for the ICS 'client' to be connected directly to the router if this is possible. Also, I don't know what IP address range your router operates in, but if it is 192.168.0.x (with 'zero' as the third octet in the address) this will cause problems with Internet Connection sharing which uses the same range.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…