Wired/Wireless speed difference, ???

Epirb406 19:02 09 Sep 06

Hi Folks,

I have always beleived that because a wireless network is de facto faster than any service available for web browsing that wether a network was wired or unwired would make no difference.

My current configuration is:

US Robotics USR 9110 Modem Router.
1 PC connected to router via Ethernet cable and 100 Mbps internal NIC.
1 PC connected via internal wireless USR NIC, indicated connection speed never less than 48 Mbps.
1 Sony Vaio Laptop, connecting with internal, own brand wireless card, as above, never indicates less than 48 Mbps.
Tiscali 2 Mbps unlimited contract on BT line.
No Security or encryption (Shhhh, we live in the stix!)

Tests at click here give consistent results.

The results being that the wired PC is consistently 60% to 70% faster accross the internet than the wirelessly connected computers which match each other.

Hope this is clear, more info available of course!

Any ideas???

Brgds, Epirb.

ade.h 19:10 09 Sep 06

Your "48Mbps" is the handshake speed, not the achievable data rate. A good 802.11g link should achieve c.15-30Mbps, but you must be prepared for a lot less than that due to various influences. However, your modest 2Mbps connection should be reasonably consistent between wi-fi and Cat5.

Epirb406 19:13 09 Sep 06

Yep, gotcha with the handshake speed and real world performance but as you say, surely the slowest thing is the internect connection and that should remain constant?

I have just run the speed tests agin, just to convince myself!

Epirb.

ade.h 19:20 09 Sep 06

You will often see some slight variation through a wireless link because the sustained speed of said link is varying continuously and it can briefly drop enough to slow an internet connection slightly. However, a bigger effect can be produced by dropped packets that must be re-requested and re-sent. I would run some packet tests if I were you.

Epirb406 20:46 09 Sep 06

Or anyone!

Packet tests? Can you point me to a source/ info?

Thanks, Epirb.

ade.h 21:25 09 Sep 06

click here I a free trial of this whenever I need to monitor a network.

ade.h 21:25 09 Sep 06

^use^

Epirb406 21:29 09 Sep 06

Err, say again, over.

Epirb406 20:04 20 Sep 06

Hi, see the link you gave me but have ended up pretty rapidly over my head!

Which one of those tools were you particularly recommending and maybe a few clues as to how to go about using them would be great.

Many thanks, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017