wired/wireless, First time Broadbander user

mec13 09:06 08 Oct 06

I have just applied for a broadband connection after many years on dial-up. We have 2 computers in our home, and a laptop,but not networked, obviously we take turns to go onto the internet.

My 16 year old son,who thinks he know's more than me about this broadband thingy,ahem, is keen to start online gaming with his mates, but tells me wired connections is faster and more reliable than wireless. This apparently is important in the 'gaming world'. Is this true!

Both our computers are fairly modern, winxp/1024mb/3.2 proces,etc. The broadband package, yet to arrive, includes a wired modem(Supanet)but I would like to try a wireless system for obvious reasons (Having said that,a search in this forum has revealed some unusual faults with wireless). Surely the difference in wired/wireless speeds (If any) are not that significant, even in this weird gaming world. I for one will be just happy with a faster broadband connection.

STREETWORK 09:17 08 Oct 06

It is often better to set up a cabled network first then any other PC connected can be changed to wireless using an adapter by following the instructions given with the adapter...

grumpy old git™ 09:25 08 Oct 06

You don't have to have one or the other. You can mix and match.

You could run a cable to your sons computer for gaming and make the other two computers wireless.

Hopefully one of the wireless ones would be the laptop. Then you could use this in any area of the house or garden, if it is not to large. The same with the other computer, this could be moved away from the telephone line to any room in the house.

mec13 19:02 08 Oct 06

thanks for the reply, that solves the solution then, wired connection for my sons sake. Although I still dont like the idea of routing the cable to his bedroom, then wirless for my machines. Here's hoping all goes well.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now