wired and wireless

chippy+ 11:41 13 Nov 08

wired and wireless

hi i mixed up my previous post as being resolved but i would like some advice please I have 4 pcs upstairs quite close together untill now they are networked by 4 port router.
i am getting a new tv which will take 1 other pc downstairs and would like to add this to the existing wired network.I received a 4 port wireless router from virgin and would like to use it(the pc downstairs) with a usb dongle. would this be ok or should i get a usb dongles for all pcs. the router is netgear WGR614-9VGUKS 2.4GHz 802.11g 54Mbps thanks for any advice received Chippy

ambra4 12:00 13 Nov 08

Yes you can connect wireless using a USB wireless adapter or add a 5 port switch to the router if

you want the pc to be wired

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

chippy+ 12:37 13 Nov 08

hi ambra4 thanks for the response the pc downstairs will be ok using usb or wireless card? is there any difference in speed between usb and card ? the router will be connected to modem upstairs would i be better keeping the 4 upstairs wired rather than usb thanks for your help Chippy

T0SH 13:11 13 Nov 08

Ethernet over mains wiring "Homeplug" could well provide the solution you are looking for

Cheers HC

ambra4 13:21 13 Nov 08

“Is there any difference in speed between usb and card ?”

None both will connect at a Max of 54Mbps

“Would I be better keeping the 4 upstairs wired”

Yes, the wired connection will always be faster than the wireless connection

chippy+ 14:17 13 Nov 08

hi ambra4 and tosh thanks for the information
Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…