Wired Router Problem

weisswolfen 18:13 27 Jan 07

I got a D-Link DSL 504 router to set up. Presently I have a D-Link DSL-200 modem installed and working.
Since I bought a second PC I would like to use the Router. The problem is that I don't know how to go about it. If i uninstall the DSL 200 to get the DSL phone jack to the router which is also connected to the PC with a crossover cable, when I try to get 192.168.0.1 IE tells me that there is no internet connection(I thought a router is also a modem?). End of that story. If I try to get 192.168.0.1 with DSL-200 working I get Google search with a long list of links of people having a problem with 192.168.0.1 installation!
So how to go about this pain in the neck router?
Thanks if anyone has some suggestions.

Strawballs 20:42 27 Jan 07

It is a modem/router but I think a crossover lead is the wrong one it should be a network lead.

click here

dms05 12:16 28 Jan 07

Yes you need to connect with a standard Network Cable not the Crossover you are using. Once you have the DSL-504 working on PC 1 you just need to connect PC 2 to one of the LAN sockets, again with a standard network cable and you will be able to connect to the Internet.

You may need to change your Connection settings if you've used a dial up modem - change them to 'never dial a connection'. But I think the DSL-200 is an ADSL Modem so you shouldn't need to for that PC.

weisswolfen 17:00 28 Jan 07

Thanks guys I completely forgot about it, I used the same Cat5 that I was using for direct connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…