Wired perfect, wireless connects but no internet??

ManTower 10:31 27 May 08

Hi have a problem with my wireless network which until recently worked perfectly I have a US Robotics 9108 modem router and laptop running XP SP2. I am able to connect via ethernet and get full internet access. However using the wireless network I can connect but not browse. The strange thing is is I can do a google search using the wireless network which brings up the results but I can't view any of the websites. I am also able to play online games wirelessly. Also my mobile phone is unable to use the wireless connection as is my wii although both report connected.

I have run anti virus and malware checks - all are clear. I am not aware of making any changes to the system which may have caused this.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

David.

Ashrich 15:42 27 May 08

Do you have the firewall turned on in the router ? Maybe this is blocking the things you wish to see , try turning it off , it might just help ....

Ashley .

ManTower 23:43 27 May 08

Thanks for the suggestion but the firewall on the router can't be turned off. Also would the firewall not block the internet when using a wired connection?

It seems to be solely a wireless issue but I can't find anything wrong.

Ashrich 19:54 29 May 08

Then I would suggest a complete reset of the router , back to factory conditions ( small recessed button on the back ) and maybe see if there is a later version of the firmware available to update to . Other than that it does sound like it is a problem for the router that the wireless isn't working correctly .

Ashley

ManTower 20:11 29 May 08

Thanks. I have already tried a full reset twice - the router continues to work perfectly wired but wireless it connects straight away full 8mb download speed will do any google search and get full download speed playing online games. The strange thing is that a few websites are perfect but most get no further than the google results page. There is no firmware update available. It is the same wth Firefox and IE. To be honest I think I will try one more restart then bin it if it still doesn't work.
Cheers for the help.

Dave.

ManTower 20:12 29 May 08

Thanks. I have already tried a full reset twice - the router continues to work perfectly wired but wireless it connects straight away full 8mb download speed will do any google search and get full download speed playing online games. The strange thing is that a few websites are perfect but most get no further than the google results page. There is no firmware update available. It is the same wth Firefox and IE. To be honest I think I will try one more restart then bin it if it still doesn't work.
Cheers for the help.

Dave.

Ashrich 22:27 30 May 08

Hello again Dave , might this be an MTU problem ? It sounds like the wireless section is actually working , but it won't read the websites that you want to visit , what is the MTU set at on the router ?

Ashley

Ashrich 22:30 30 May 08

But then again , it wouldn't work wired if that was the case , mmm back to the drawing board .....

Ashley

mahalo 23:38 30 May 08

I am having the same problem, BT Home hub OK, wireless adapter OK, it finds the hub etc, but I cannot access the internet. I will watch here with great interest as I am having a nervous breakdown with it all. GOOD LUCK !.

T0SH 17:56 31 May 08

The MTU setting you need to check/set is the one for the network cards not in the router settings you can run a test from here it will provide hints and tips for settings

click here

you can also download DRTCP which will allow you to change the MTU setting along with many others

The FAQ`s and forums provide help

This site shows you how to find the best MTU setting for your ISP

click here

Remember there will probably be more than one network card on your system

Cheers HC

ManTower 09:13 02 Jun 08

Hi all, many thanks for the responses so far. I have continued to struggle with this and am beginning to think there may be a software/setting issue as I can now connect wirelessly, access the router web interface and certain websites(but only a few). For example I can browse all of the Tesco site and a couple of my banking sites work perfectly wirelesly. This site doesn't however, it part loads and then stops with the status bar at the bottom of the screen waiting for adtech.?? All of the other sites that don't work seem to connect then the status bar reports waiting for the site.

All of this suggests that the wireless section is functional but not fully. I just don't know why it only works for such a small number of sites. It still works perfectly as a wired connection.

Any more suggestions would be very appreciated!

Cheers

Dave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5