wired pc and wireless laptop...how?

Superstylin 14:27 15 Aug 05

hi, i have a wired broadband connection via usb modem. i'm looking to purchase a laptop that i'd like to have wireless broadband.

what equipment do i need to enable wireless connection for the laptop? (i'm not sure whether the laptop i will be getting has integrated 802.11 wireless or not, could advise with both scenarios?)

thankyou

Jackcoms 14:30 15 Aug 05

To a certain extent you've answered your own question.

You need to have integrated 802.11 - most half decent laptops these days will have it.

Superstylin 14:31 15 Aug 05

but what is needed on the pc end?

Superstylin 14:32 15 Aug 05

i have a speedtouch 330 modem

phil-smith.tk 14:40 15 Aug 05

first you'll need to take away the usb modem and buy a wireless modem/router then enable your desktop PC either with a PCI wireless (wi-fi) card or with a wi-fi usb dongle (or usb based wi-fi adapter) then if the laptop you buy doesn't have wi-fi built in you can buy a wi-fi pcmia card (around £30) and simply plug that into the side of your laptop and install the software that came with it! :)

phil-smith.tk 14:42 15 Aug 05

i forgot to mention that a wi-fi usb dongle will also work on the laptop :)(around £20)

Superstylin 14:46 15 Aug 05

great help..but, does the desktop pc need to be wireless too? aren't there modem/routers that can take wired and wireless?

i.e., pc wired to modem/router
modem/router wireless to laptop?

and if the pc is able to be wired then what would i need rather than the PCI wireless card?

phil-smith.tk 14:53 15 Aug 05

good point... i almost forgot!

indeed some wireless modem can be wired to your main desktop PC via a usb cable (usualy supplied with the modem) if you want this then check the modem is capable of this and is supplied with the usb cable needed

and in some cases you have the option of using a eithernet cable to connect your PC with the wireless router/modem this can be better in some cases if your desktop PC has an eithernet adapter (and hopfully windows XP with SP2 as this makes things a little easyer)

Superstylin 14:57 15 Aug 05

cheers phil you're a star! i best go price them up!

Al94 15:04 15 Aug 05

Everything you need here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…